Search results

1. B

New (Feb. 2021) AMD Epyc Drivers for Windows Posted

Hi, I know, old thread but: The download contains the chipset driver AND "Plugin PSHED driver" - what is the PSHED Plugin driver for? - Do I need to install that?
  2. B

NIC firmware update on ROMED8-2T failed?!

I do not understand why the Intel flash tool fails - from ym perspective it is just an Intel NIC chip soldere to the mainboard, so theoretically it should just be able to flash it just like any other PCIe card/NIC - this is really annoying as hell and is likely keeping me from buying Asrock again
  3. B

Ok, thx. This is some serious BS in Asrocj and/or Intel side. They sell sever HW with 3 year old NIC FW but it is not updateable!?? I havent come across this in 20 years...
  4. B

Hi, What was the solution? I have a X470DU with X550-T2 and I wnated to update the NVM on the NIC as I do ahve some network issues. But when I runt he update tool it says "no update available" - yea right NVM 1.48 and current on intel page 3.15... Is there an guide how to update the NICs NVM...
  5. B

Server 2019: How to get best ST performance inside guest VM

@b-rex @Marjan Ok, thank you for your input. If I have some spare time I will test with 1T just to make sure, otherwise I will leave it at default.
  6. B

Server 2019: How to get best ST performance inside guest VM

Hi We have a Hyper-V host running Server 2019 and guest VMs running Server 2019 as well. In our main Server VM each job that is processed is single threaded and I am looking into improving thins a little bit if possible. Since it is Server 2019 it using the core schedule and currently the VM...
  7. B

EPYC ROME Motherboards???

Some seem to be available: https://geizhals.de/?fs=supermicro+h12&hloc=de&in=
  8. B

LSI 9440 8i - LSA not able to login

I'll be damned... what a F****** programming bug... THX a lot, it was driving me nut a couple of days ago after updating LSA and then I remembered this thread I opened last year
  9. B

VHDX disk usage Guest vs Host discrepancies

Hi Can anyone explain the following to me: Inside the VM the drive shows a usage of 149GB. When I select all folders on that drive I get a total of 5GB. When I look at the VHDX file on the hosts file system the size is about 5GB - the 5GB pretty much reflect what I copied to that drive over the...
  10. B

Storage server - RAID 6, 10 or storage spaces ? - which way to go nowdays?

Wow Chris, you are everywhere :-) - That is my old thread from 2017. But the topic is actually still valid. I have SSD RAID 6 and was about to use ReFS but am currently struggling with the decision as I have read quite a few post about dataloss with RefS in 2018 - that is really troubling me...
  11. B

Server 2019 Hyper-V VHDX performance sucks for small files

Ok. I am starting to doubt ReFS. I have still seen quite some post with bad experience since 2018 which talked about colume corruption with disk being in "raw mode" and no means of repairing it - that would really suck.
  12. B

SSD RAID 6 - diskrepancy Benchmarks and real world tests - stripe-size right?

Hi I was talking about strip size. I meanwhile replaced the Braodcom with an Adaptec controller and a srip size of 16kb gave the best overall performance for the file sizes which are most common. I also moved to IO-Meter for benchmarking as the synthetics weren't helping much and my windows...
  13. B

Storage server - RAID 6, 10 or storage spaces ? - which way to go nowdays?

Hi Aestr Sorry I have somehow missed you post almost 2 years ago. The last PACS worked OK for what it was supposed to do: large volume at lo cost. Performance was ok considering the expectations, but not mind blowing - we ended up with a RAID 10 for 8 6TB HDDs on NTFS with some FS tweak. We are...
  14. B

OH lots of settings. I used Refs, any setting in particular for IO on VHDX
  15. B

Raid stripe size is 16kb for 9 ssds in a Raid 6. This stripe size was the fastest for my workload in the host. 32kb was similar but it declined at 64kb.
  16. B

Hello dear forum members I just benched my virtual server and the VHDX which is meant for the file storage isn't performing very well. The bare metal SSD RAID gets around 515MB/s for files sizes of 256kb and the VM only achieves 439MB/s - IOMeter 100% random read. The smaller the file sizes go...
  17. B

I tried Raid 50, its the same performance in my real-world copy test - however ATTO is 50 to 100% improvement - it just doesn't ranslate into real-world performance. Its either the drives can't go any faster even if working on striped files with 64kb stripe size or it is some IO/bandwidth issue...
  18. B

Well going 3x RAID isn't a financial viable option. There are some reviews that BBWC isn't helpfu in Ssd based raid however the point in my case is that writes are a non issues - I want to improve random read speed for files below 200 to 300kb in size. From 300kb on random read in real world...
  19. B

Hi, thx for your reply. How do I find out the page size of my SSDs? - if it's 4k I can't set the corresponding stripe size anyway as the lowest in Broadcom is 64k and Adaptec 16k. Going from Raid 6 to 5 is probably not going to bring much as it will only speed up reads from files which are...
  20. B

Hi I am setting up a RAID for a file server. It is supposed to be a RAID 6 with 9 SSDs and it will replace a RAID 10 with 8 HDDs (7200rpm). The files we store are pretty small: 10% below 32kb 5% between 32-64kb 60% between 64 - 300kb 25% above 300kb and like 2 % above 1MB files are written...