Search results

1. C

MegaRAID - how do I reimport a lost VD+CacheCade array?

Hi poto, I couldn't get to a point where I got to Import Configuration without hitting the scary cache message first, despite trying for awhile... ...but I did resolve the issue! First, here's the physical drive view I forgot to post earlier: All three drives are there. Then, I performed...
  2. C

MegaRAID - how do I reimport a lost VD+CacheCade array?

Hi folks! I've got a 9260-8i with 6 x 3TB drives in RAID5 a CacheCade SSD a BBU unit Last night around 2am, my wife and I were woken up by the shrieking alarm from my 9260-8i controller. I powered the machine off and went back to bed. (Sleeping kids + angry wife + exhaustion == not wanting to...
  3. C

Help me benchmark some MegaRAID controllers...

Hmm, I could use this setup to test various ext4 stride setups to see if any of them work synergistically with the controller's RAID access patterns...
  4. C

I got some runs done: $ ls -1d raid* raid0_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid0_x6_stripe64_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid10_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid10_x6_stripe64_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid50_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon...
  5. C

So I think the sum total of customization that would be needed is: In bench.sh, edit CONTROLLER to match what you see in 'sudo parted -lm'. In do.sh, edit the four *_LIST variables in do.sh to iterate over the array configurations of interest. In do.sh, make sure the ARRAY_LIST commands use...
  6. C

Here's the bench.sh script: #!/bin/bash # this is the controller, as reported by 'parted -l' # (used to find out on which device the array landed) CONTROLLER='LSI MR9267-8i' # this is the test filesystem mountpoint TESTFS='/test' ################ if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ] then echo "Please...
  7. C

Okay here's my main script, do.sh: #!/bin/bash if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ] then echo "Please run as root" exit fi STRIPE_LIST='256' IOPOLICY_LIST='direct cached' PDCACHE_LIST='on off' unset ARRAY_LIST declare -A ARRAY_LIST ARRAY_LIST[raid0_x6]='storcli64 /c0 add vd type=raid0 name=test...
  8. C

Thanks! Mostly I am looking to get benchmark data useful for you guys, not as much for me. I've almost got it scripted up to create a bunch of RAID array configurations using storcli (successor to megacli), create a fresh filesystem each time, and run a bunch of benchmarks on it. The issue I'm...
  9. C

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the following fio/iozone commands: #!/bin/bash rpath=/results/6x_3TB_RAID0_stripe64k_readahead mkdir $rpath pushd /test # random read/write/readwrite fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=randread --filename=test --bs=4k...
  10. C

Are there "standard" fio job files for measuring things like sequential R/W, random R/W, and IOPS? Edit: currently playing with the following commands: # random read/write/readwrite fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=randread --filename=test --bs=4k...
  11. C

Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung EVO SSDs, 1TB for $209, 500GB for $98

1 TB = $209 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948008 500 GB = $98 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948009 250 GB = $73 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948011 Reposted from Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung EVO solid state drives, 1TB for $209, 500GB...
  12. C

LSI 9271-8i array reconstruction

I ran into the same thing with my LSI 9267-8i. I started with 5 x 3TB WD Red in RAID5. After adding a 6th drive and starting the migration to RAID6, the estimated completion was 5 days. Changing the reconstruction rate had no effect, and the disk was unusably slow (an "ls -R" printed 2-3...
  13. C

Benchmarking with fio and generating graphs

Reviving an old thread... So I've been learning fio, and I came across the fio-visualizer utility, which is an Intel-sponsored open-source GUI front-end for fio: GitHub - intel/fiovisualizer After that, I found that fio also comes with gfio, its own GUI front-end: 1. fio - Flexible I/O...
  14. C

Thanks! I can try it. What's your recommended command line?
  15. C

Thanks i386, I appreciate your cautions. This is largely just an excuse to play with CacheCade using a large dataset (uhh, my own stuff). I might or might not keep that configuration. The contents will always be backed up. In the longer run, I might run the SSD directly as a system disk (as you...
  16. C

Snagged a 9260-8i+LSI00292 key for $47 shipped!
  17. C

Forgot to mention... The reason for this is, I've asked several questions recently and this community has been incredibly helpful. I'd like to volunteer my time and resources to say thanks and give back.
  18. C

Hi folks, Here's what I've currently got: NEC 9267-8i controller with BBU Six 3TB WD Red HDDs One 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD Ubuntu 17.04 machine, 16GB RAM, i7-4790k CPU (just consumer stuff) I thought the 9267-8i would do CacheCade, but it turns out I was wrong. This is for a home...
  19. C

LSI MegaRaid 9265-8i $25 (Dell Pull)

Is there a Dell CacheCade option for the FNR56?
  20. C

LSI 9267-8i and CacheCade - yay or nay?

LSI/BRCM support also confirmed that the L3-25188-00A hardware key has nothing to do with CacheCade: