Search results

1. A

how to quiet X3650 servers

I have two X3650 M4 servers that I would like to use in my home lab. If I had a basement, I would rack the servers there and this would not be a problem. So, I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet these servers down. Do these servers have standard size ATX boards, can I remove all case fans and...
  2. A

LSI Megaraid SAS 9270 CV hangs

Has anyone here worked with a LSI Megaraid SAS 9270 CV? I am installing this into one of my older Poweredge T110 ii servers. When the server boots and I launch the raid config utility it hangs at web bios will be executed after the post completes. Last time I worked with these cards I had to...
  3. A

Poweredge H700 who has one

I am currently running a Perc 6i however I am interested in moving over to a H700 so with that said. Who here is running a H700 in a white box also do you have SSD's connected and are you connect at 6G or 3G for the SSD's? I was reading somewhere that the H700 connects SSD at 3G.
  4. A

using different hard drives in a raid config

Guys I am getting ready to put together a small ZFS box. I will be using 3 500 gig Seagate Constellation ES drives I also happen to have 2 more 500 gig WD Blue drives laying around. So my question is do you all recommend mixing and matching drives in a raid config lets say raid 5. The Blue's...
  5. A

expand software raid array Windows Server 2012

Guys I currently have a Windows 2012 server that is running a software raid 5. I pass the drives through to the OS using an IBM M1015 I am overall happy with the performance. However, there is one huge problem I can't add drives to my existing raid 5 without doing a complete rebuild of the...
  6. A

how much ram does zfs really need

I would like to know how much ram do you really need in order to run zfs? I have always stayed away from ZFS because from what I've read it seems to be a ram hog.
  7. A

is the perc 6i still worth using

Guys I have 2 Perc 6i cards laying around. I have an extra 8 2TB drives that I would like to throw into a raid 5. So with that said is the Perc 6i still worth using? I already know that I will need to put at least an 80mm fan on it and a decent heat sink. Anyway guys let me know your thoughts.
  8. A

strange problems with Dell Perc 5i

Guys I have a very strange problem that I can't explain. Our home file server is a Dell Precision 390 it runs a Perc 5i I have two virtual raid 5 disk groups created. The first disk group is all Samsung 2TB drives and the second disk group is Seagate 500 gigs drives. The first raid 5 has 5 hard...