Search results

1. A

how to quiet X3650 servers

I have two X3650 M4 servers that I would like to use in my home lab. If I had a basement, I would rack the servers there and this would not be a problem. So, I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet these servers down. Do these servers have standard size ATX boards, can I remove all case fans and...
  2. A

LSI Megaraid SAS 9270 CV hangs

Has anyone here worked with a LSI Megaraid SAS 9270 CV? I am installing this into one of my older Poweredge T110 ii servers. When the server boots and I launch the raid config utility it hangs at web bios will be executed after the post completes. Last time I worked with these cards I had to...
  3. A

Poweredge H700 who has one

Thanks for the reply however I do have a few more questions. First off does the card get hot like the old Perc6/5 thus requiring a fan? Also do you have this an a PE server or a regular white box system? BTW I dod not know this was an x4 card a few place online stated that it was x8.
  4. A

I might get one as the prices have really dropped on the H700. I am mainly interested in how the card handles SSD either 3g or 6g. The Perc 6i has been really good I like this a lot more than my Perc 5i card. However, the Perc 6i can't expand past a 2tb drive so that's why I'm looking at the H700.
  5. A

I am currently running a Perc 6i however I am interested in moving over to a H700 so with that said. Who here is running a H700 in a white box also do you have SSD's connected and are you connect at 6G or 3G for the SSD's? I was reading somewhere that the H700 connects SSD at 3G.
  6. A

how much ram does zfs really need

I ordered the extra drive yesterday I expect to have it in a few days.
  7. A

using different hard drives in a raid config

Guys I am getting ready to put together a small ZFS box. I will be using 3 500 gig Seagate Constellation ES drives I also happen to have 2 more 500 gig WD Blue drives laying around. So my question is do you all recommend mixing and matching drives in a raid config lets say raid 5. The Blue's...
  8. A

Thanks for all the info I will be getting this together over the next couple of days. My main file server still runs Windows Server 2012 this system will be used for ISCSI and NFS mainly for my Vmware lab. The box is nothing special it will have 4 gigs of ram, Intel PT1000 nics, IBM M1015...
  9. A

I was wanting to play around with ZFS on an older box I have laying around I think the cpu is either a cor2duo 1.6 or 2.6. I would be hooking 7 to 8 2TB drives to an IMB M1015 controller I can only get 8 gigs of ram max in this system hopefully it is enough for decent performance. The box will...
  10. A

Sotech is he using duplication also what hardware and operating system is he running?
  11. A

expand software raid array Windows Server 2012

Guys I currently have a Windows 2012 server that is running a software raid 5. I pass the drives through to the OS using an IBM M1015 I am overall happy with the performance. However, there is one huge problem I can't add drives to my existing raid 5 without doing a complete rebuild of the...
  12. A

I would like to know how much ram do you really need in order to run zfs? I have always stayed away from ZFS because from what I've read it seems to be a ram hog.
  13. A

is the perc 6i still worth using

Guys I have 2 Perc 6i cards laying around. I have an extra 8 2TB drives that I would like to throw into a raid 5. So with that said is the Perc 6i still worth using? I already know that I will need to put at least an 80mm fan on it and a decent heat sink. Anyway guys let me know your thoughts.
  14. A

Testing & deliberately rebuilding PERC 6/i array

Did you ever get the firmware updated on your perc 6i if not the process is really easy. 1. you need to create a dos bootable usb key I always use the rufus utility to create my key. Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way 2. Go to Dells site download the latest firmware copy it over...
  15. A

strange problems with Dell Perc 5i

Guys I have a very strange problem that I can't explain. Our home file server is a Dell Precision 390 it runs a Perc 5i I have two virtual raid 5 disk groups created. The first disk group is all Samsung 2TB drives and the second disk group is Seagate 500 gigs drives. The first raid 5 has 5 hard...