Search results

1. T

Need Advice Building a 16+ ZFS NAS

I want to build a 16 drive ZFS NAS with 10G NIC. Possibly want to expand in the future. Currently, I have 10 HDDs and 6 SSDs. These will be in two ZFS RAIDZ2 pools respectively. General usage will be slower HDDs for media and faster SDDs for VMs. For 10G networking I have HP 649281-B21 adapter...
  2. T

Adding Drives onto Dell PowerEdge R330

I have a Dell PowerEdge R330 with PERC H330 card with two 2.5" HDDs already. The chassis I have is for 4X 3.5" hard drives. I picked up six 2.5" SSDs recently. How do add it to the system? What parts do I need?
  3. T

What Cabling for Perc H330?

I am trying to figure out what cabling/parts I need to add six additional 12gpbs SAS SSDs to my Dell PowerEdge R330. Current configuration has a PERC H330 controller and two 2.5" SAS HDD installed but on a 4X 3.5" hot plug chassis. Is there a breakout cable I can connect to one of the two x4...
  4. T

Size on disk is 2.3X file size

My Size on disk is 2.3X of the file size. See picture attached. The test file is a large 1.0 GB .mp4 video file. It is stored on a ZFS storage on proxmox LXC bind mount shared from Samba. Pool created with these settings: zpool create -o ashift=12 -o autoexpand=on tank raidz2 \ <list of ten 4TB...
  5. T

Samba File Server Help

Hi, I am getting lost in proxmox, linux, samba, etc. and need some help. I want to setup a file server on proxmox v5.3 for sharing with Windows clients. I am lost on setting it up to support Active Directory and NTFS groups and security permissions using SAMBA. On a Windows environment, it is...
  6. T

ZFS on Proxmox host, VM, or Dedicated?

System Configuration: 10 * 4TB HGST HDD ZFS RAIDZ2 using HBA adapter in IT mode Two systems available: Xeon 1245/1270 v3 servers with 10GbE Hi, rebuilding homelab and need advice on how to approach ZFS storage solution. It will be used for general file share, streaming media, web development...
  7. T

What is the recommended setup for IPMI over Internet?

My current configuration looks like this: System: Host---hypervisor---VMs (pfSense, etc.) Network: Internet---modem---pfSense---LAN I have upgraded the system to a Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F with a dedicated IPMI. The system is remotely managed system and I would like to use IPMI over Internet...
  8. T

Server Recommendation: Atom C3000 or Xeon D or Ryzen?

Need some recommendations on a new server build. I have read with great interest on all the new Intel Atom C3000 series articles here. In particular, the Supermicro A2SDi-H-TP4F which offers low power consumption, quad 10GbE (future proof), and great performance. I am thinking of getting this...