Search results

1. O

New Networking Setup Questions

1) I'm happy with any half-decent crimpers. Doing outdoor/shielded connectors I actually find some of the lower end ones I have 'better' because they don't get stuck. What I really appreciate though is a radial wire stripper - you have to be careful it doesn't cut too deep, but it saves a TON of...
  2. O

Need help with HP Z Turbo Drive G2 512GB.

Hi @SirSlothington, One of my staff is an EE who took the time to delve in and figure out what they were doing to disable it. He used a probe and found a continual reboot loop on the card that was only stopped via a command given by specific HP motherboards. We weren't impressed they spent...
  3. O

Exactly. Obviously keep in mind it's unlikely they'll warranty it after modification. We have several we've removed that have been in service for a while working fine. Worst case if you ruin it you still have an M.2 drive?
  4. O

No problem. It was pretty frustrating - especially given the lack of documentation you also discovered. Seems like a pretty sweet feature to put Engineering hours into for HP.
  5. O

That's what I'm saying - the adapter has a 'feature' that makes it not work on anything but Z workstations. You have to remove a transistor (Q1) from the board to bypass the 'feature'. The device continually reboots, and thus will not show up, in anything but the systems that know how to...
  6. O

We figured out how to fix them for our uses. We ordered a batch of Z420's in with these cards and some users didn't want the PCIe slot taken up so we ended up with pulls we wanted to use elsewhere. You have to remove the Q1 transistor. The card just constantly resets unless the computer sends a...
  7. O

CoLo Facility Opinions?

We have a 1/4 rack + 100mbps commit there. The facility is pretty small but decent. The network is fine but the basic blend is not high-end. It's worked well at a reasonable price and within driving distance to us. We're happy customers who've been there for several years. We entered there as a...
  8. O

ebay - 800GB Dell SATA SSD $189 ($174 W/CPN)

There is a thread were a few of us cover some of the basics - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/1-8in-sata-to-2-5in-adapter-experiences.17611/#post-169325 You''re in good shape if you have 3.3v power.
  9. O

1.8in Sata to 2.5in Adapter - Experiences

If you have 3.3v on your SATA power supply most any of them should work. If you don't have 3.3v, welcome to a world of hurt. I had a couple hundred drives I needed to adapt and bought just about every adapter I could find... It sucked. Random drives (of the same variety) work with random...