Search results

1. A

Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

SB will support 32GB when 8GB UDIMMs are released. Considering that the chips have just reached the "sampling" state, and that the DIMMs haven't, it will be a while before the price approaches reasonable. Until then, the reasonable limit for SB will be 16GB (4x4GB).
  2. A

Intel 320 SSD

Joke? I guess that depends on your needs. The 320 is in their mainstream series (G3 - replacement for G2/310). If you think that 4x the capacity is a joke, that's up to you. I know that the new Intel 600GB SSD I put into my laptop is about as fast as the Intel 160GB SSD it replaced, and the...
  3. A

Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

You missed the X9SCA / X9SCA-F, both of which use the C204.
  4. A

4K/Green/5200-7200/ ...-Questions

This doesn't work on the newest WD desktop drives.
  5. A

CPU sizing for home ZFS server

ZFS likes to have a LOT of RAM, to cache data. If you can bump this to 8GB, you'll get better throughput, with less disk thrashing. If you're maxing out the CPU, an upgrade to quad-core would be a good idea. I'd go with the X3440, as the additional threads may be useful.
  6. A

ZFS Thoughts: Best Inexpensive ZIL?

If the MB has an SFF-8087 connector, then you need a connector with an SFF-8087 connector on the source end, and the appropriate connector for the backplane that Norco uses on the other end. This CAN NOT BE a reverse breakout cable, as that cable goes from individual SAS ports on the MB to an...
  7. A

ZFS Thoughts: Best Inexpensive ZIL?

There's one thing that I think you're missing here. The purpose of the ZIL is to be a write journal. The OS writes FS-critical information to the ZIL, then puts it in the write queue for the file-system. When the I/O to the file-system completes, the transaction is marked as complete in the...
  8. A

Intel Xeon E3-1230

Patrick, I absolutely agree with you that the E3-1230 is at a good price/performance point. It's much better than the Xeon 34xx CPUs. For most uses, it's better than the 35xx and 36xx CPUs. Overall, these are nice CPUs, and I expect to build quite a few of them for customers. However...
  9. A

Socket 1366 Proc with Vt-d

EDIT: Mostly duplicate - I didn't see page 2 of the thread before posting. The general answer is simple. The VT-d functionality, in those systems that have it, is part of the North-Bridge functionality (memory controller). When the NB functionality is part of the CPU (as in the...
  10. A

Supermicro X9SCM/X9SCL LGA-1155 Xeon Motherboard Series

This is NOT a marketplace problem. It's a component availability problem. To build a 8GB UDIMM, you need either 4Gb (dual-rank) or 8Gb (single-rank) chips, neither of which are currently being manufacturered in quantity. This is similar to when the Nehalem single-socket CPUs came out. They...