Search results

1. B

X9DRi-LN4F+ & dual E5-2640's: powering GPU

Thanks all - that makes sense. I went rummaging through my cable bin and found a number of molex to pcie (unfortunately 6 pin). Ordered an 8 pin variant to go with my 1660S.
  2. B

Thanks ari2asem - I contemplated going the molex route, except I've heard stories of melting/things catching fire. Could be the best option is to go P2000 or P400
  3. B

I'm running a X9DRi-LN4F+ board with dual E5-2640's in an SC846 chassis. As is well documented, the PDB's in these cases don't have dedicated PCIe power. However, I've seen some information floating around: 1. You can create a PCIe power from one EPS 8 pin. 2. A single EPS 8pin is equivalent to...
  4. B

826 TQ Backplane issue

I'm having issues with my 826 TQ backplane - I've loaded the entire chassis up with drives, but I'm only able to see the first 8 drives in my system (running unraid). Through process of elimination (swapping cables/hba cards), I've narrowed the issue down to the backplane. It appears there's two...
  5. B

WTB: SC846 w/ SAS2 backplane (SF Bay Area)

Looking to buy another 846 w/ SAS2 backplane. Anyone have one for sale? Thanks!
  6. B

Is this a 846B or non-B?

Thanks! Was thinking about going internal after some thought anyways. Sorta hard access the back of the unit in my rack.
  7. B

Is this a 846B or non-B?

Looking at my options on mounting SSDs separate from my array in the case. In particular, interested in getting MCP-220-84610-0N. However, I'm not sure if I have the compatible variant of the 846(B). Can anyone help me from the attached pic? Thanks!
  8. B

BPN-SAS2-846EL1 - no devices detected?

Thanks WeekendWarrior@! Picked up a breakout cable and went from there. Turns out probably a bad cable / seating. Replaced the mini SAS and all is well.
  9. B

BPN-SAS2-846EL1 - no devices detected?

I'm assembling my SC846 with a SAS2846EL1 backplane. I flashed an h310 dell card to a LSI 2008, which is showing up fine in ESXi. However, there are no devices from the backplane detected even though I have a 500GB SATA drive plugged into port 1. I believe the backplane is getting power as all...
  10. B

WTB: DDR3 ECC UDIMM

Thanks Evan, came to the same conclusion. I consulted Supermicro's compatibility list and comparing prices, I found a 4GB module that was the cheapest option to reach 16GB. I think that should be plenty for my NAS.
  11. B

On the same note, is it possible to use an RDIMM in this case?
  12. B

Looking for memory for my new mobo (X10SLM-F). Spec wise looking for either 1333MHz or 1600MHz ECC Unbuffered dimms, ideally 2x8GB. Thanks!
  13. B

WTB SC846 A/SAS2 Chassis

Looking to buy SC846 A/SAS2 chassis in the SF Bay area (south Bay, East Bay, or peninsula). Going to use as a JBOD enclosure so no need for motherboard. Power supply not needed, but I am looking for a unit with all drive cages.
  14. B

JBOD to VM vs freestanding NAS

I'm looking to replace my DS1812 with an unraid solution and am trying to decide if I should go the JBOD route or just make a full other server. I currently have a esxi srver dedicated to running vms that I figured I could pass an hba through vtd and have a separate chassis for drives. I figured...
  15. B

ESXi 6.5 and C621 chipset - ethernet not supported?

I'm setting up ESXi on my SuperMicro X11dpi-n motherboard and I can't seem to get the internal network adapters (C621 chipset) to be recognized. My I350 Quad PCIe adapter is recognized fine. Has anyone else run into this?
  16. B

Post SuperMicro Server Build Observations and Questions

Thanks K D for the info! Will post some pics once it's on the rack. I used dual Xeon Silver 4110s for my build paired with 64 GB of RAM. This is replacing my two i5 servers that were getting long in the tooth.
  17. B

Post SuperMicro Server Build Observations and Questions

I finally finished putting together my server after months of planning and sourcing (YAY! self-five). I built this using a SuperMicro X11 DPi-N and CS216 chassis. with a PWS-902-1R power spply. A few oddities: 1. The front pin cluster on the motherboard had an additional 2 pins for NMI button...
  18. B

Torque Screwdriver recommendations?

Reading through the supermicro 3647 heatsink install, they specify a specific torque amount to use when installing. Does anyone have any recommendations on an affordable Screwdriver which you can see the max torque? Thanks!
  19. B

3647 side-air-channel cpu heat sink?

I'm looking at getting a passive heatsink to be used with my supermicro X11-DPI-n board and cse 216. However, I see two possible: Supermicro SNK-P0068PS 2U Passive CPU Heat Sink For LGA3647-0 Socket Supermicro SNK-P0068PSC 2U Proprietary Passive Side-Air-Channel CPU Heat Sink For LGA-3647-0...
  20. B

2666mhz ram with Xeon silvers

i found this relatively decent deal on new crucial ddr4 ecc rdimm 16gb modules: Crucial Technology Memory Module However it’s 2666mhz. I’ll be using them with Xeon silvers which I know max is 2400mhz. I’m pretty sure this is the case, but can someone confirm that the memory will clock down...