Search results

1. F

IBM M5015 experiences

Ibm sbr Can I keep the IBM firmware and change the SBR firmware? My M5015 takes about 2 min to get past the BIOS Initialization. I don't want to Brick the card trying to update the FW so I have stuck to the IBM FW only, but I'm tired of the long boot time waiting for the BIOS. Does IBM have...
  2. F

Real World Story: ZFS/napp-it saves the Day.

I built a Solaris 11 / ZFS home server about a year ago, and I mostly use it to back up my Windows Home Server 2011. It contains duplicate folders and shares on it like the WHS does. I also use the WHS and Solaris11 server to back up my laptop from work. I have a Sync program that syncs my...
  3. F

WHS 2011 vs SBS 2011 Essentials, vs New Motherboard

Yes, Well Actually Lexan. Hopefully more scratch resistant. I'll probably post it in the DIY forum.
  4. F

Photos of new server. See if this works. http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w391/fblittle/IMG_0922.jpg Back side http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w391/fblittle/IMG_0926.jpg Standing on the it's side. http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w391/fblittle/IMG_0927.jpg Server Rack...
  5. F

DIY Server I Got some discarded parts from work. A 19" card cage that had circuit boards in it the size of hard drives. So I modified the card cage to hold 12 hard disks on aluminum plates, vertically. I then put in a backplane board for each drive and now they plug into the card rack just...
  6. F

SBSe 2011 Backups Yes it has both Server Backup and Client backup. I installed SBSe 2011 and saw little reason to keep using it after I finally decided to replace my server motherboard. I just need a NAS solution not a Domain network. My final solution was to replace my server and get a more...
  7. F

Mirror for OS Drive on WHS 2011

I built a strange new server from spare parts discarded at work. I loaded the OS onto a disk on port 1 on the MB then after that I installed a new disk on Port 0 on the MB, I then went into the Disk Manager and created a Mirror from the first Partition (C:) to the new drive then I mirrored the...
  8. F

IBM M5015 experiences

mobilenvidia or anyone: Where can I get the latest IBM Firmware. The IBM site is a mess trying to find the firmware. Do you have a link? I'm going in circles trying to find it there. I have a new M5015 that I would like to update the firmware on. I would like to stick with the approved IBM...
  9. F

I hadn't thought of that option. I don't know anything about Hyper-V Server. I have only tried vmWare Player and Virtual Box on a Desktop computer. Maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe I can run WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials on the same Box. But I'm still wondering if anybody knows the answer...
  10. F

Currently I am running WHS 2011 on my home server. I have an old (2004 vintage) Intel Server motherboard with 2 - 2.9 Ghz Xeon procerssors on it. When running WHS Vail I was able to see that both CPUs and their threads were being used. When I installed the Released version of WHS 2011 I can now...
  11. F

Supermicro MB Product Naming Codes

Has anybody figured out the product naming codes for the Supermicro Motherboards? :confused: -The first two positions "X9" must be the chipset/CPU or something like that -The third position "S" must mean type of board. In this case Server board. The rest I have not figured out SCA SCM...
  12. F

Where can i buy a BR10i bracket?

Brackets for the BR10i Good News: I bought two of these cards a while ago on e-bay for 18.50 each plus shipping. They did not come with the brackets either. After looking for a while finally, I found a source for them. I am not sure how many they have to sell, but I saw an e-bay add for them...
  13. F

LSI RAID Controller - HBA Equivalency Mapping

ReadMe file Metaluna: You are correct for the SATA Drives the readme file next to the driver download states this. For SAS drives all speeds will work with either driver.
  14. F

Where can i buy a BR10i bracket?

I just got 2- brand new, BR10i's off e-bay for 18.50 Each plus $5 shipping for the pair, so a $19 racket would be more that the board. GoofyHSK What part # did you order from purcell? There are a lot of different parts in the list. What was your cost, and how many in a minimum order...
  15. F

Solaris11 Home ZFS File Server

SIL 3124 cards, SATA Backplane. dblue135 > How did you get the SIL 3124 cards working? I read on the web site that they needed to be flashed to JBOD so the RAID functionality was disabled. I inserted both cards before I installed Solaris 11 and it just worked. I am getting about 50MB/Sec to...
  16. F

Solaris11 Home ZFS File Server

Build’s Name: Solaris11 ZFS HomeFileServer Operating System/ Storage Platform: Oracle Solaris 11 Express / napp-it CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250E AM3 2MB 45W 3000MHZ Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO-USB3 Chassis: Vintage 2000 Acer Altos Server Chassis w/ 8 Drive Caddys Drives: 2 – Hitachi 2.5”...
  17. F

Is zfsguru stable yet?

I would suggest using Solaris 11 Express and then load napp-it to have a remote console. Solaris 11 has all the most advanced zfs features, and gives you the advantage of being able to confugure it on the server UI or shell. All the other storage platforms discussed here are based on the Oracle...
  18. F

ServeTheHome.com --- Forum name change?

If you want to appeal to a wider audience did you try to add the domain ServeTheOffice.com as well. I like you r url ServeTheHome.com but by forewarding additional url to the site you can accomplish the same thing.
  19. F

How to build a OpenSolaris derived ZFS Storage Server

I Have set up a Solaris11 NAS server with SMB shares. napp-it has truncated all my passwords to 8 characters in length. This was a problem until I discovered using LastPass that it had recorded the new passwords and showed that they were all 8 chr long. Is this normal? Some of my passwords are...