Search results

1. T

Old Brocade (QLogic) BR-1020 CNA on Windows 10

Just to update this. The latest Windows Server 2012 driver did work in the end with Windows 10. But I had to upgrade the cards to the latest firmware first Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  2. T

Old Brocade (QLogic) BR-1020 CNA on Windows 10

Hi All It has been a long time and I have been off the forums here for probably the best part of 2 years. Life and that sort of thing gets in the way sometimes. Anyway, I remember there being a lot of buzz around the Brocade (QLogic) BR-1020 10Gbe cards a couple of years back. I got 3...
  3. T

Brocade 1020 CNA 10GbE PCIe Cards

A little further update. I have noticed that every time I start up the servers the storage is not visible on the ESXi host. However if I change the MTU setting to any other figure on the Windows 2012 R2 server then rescan on the ESXi host the LUNs appear. However changing the MTU settings on...
  4. T

Well, I was playing about with some things trying to work out what was going on. Following this VMware KB for a start. VMware KB: Connection not made to iSCSI storage target This then led me on to this KB VMware KB: Troubleshooting iSCSI LUN connectivity issues on ESX/ESXi hosts I...
  5. T

Hi All I have three of these cards that I am trying to use in a triangle sort of setup. I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 as an ISCSI target. And using ESXi 5.5 to try to connect to it as the initiator. I have one card in the Windows server and on card in the ESXi server. Both are set up...
  6. T

This is where I got mine. Offered £20 each for 3 and was accepted. Brocade 58-1000027-01 10G SFP FCoE 3m FCoE Active Cable | eBay
  7. T

My cables I lent @nry for the test only cost me £20 each with free delivery from eBay. They are the proper Brocade Active Twinax ones too
  8. T

HP NC364T Quad Port 1 Gbe NIC

Yay! I got two of these cards from eBay. Plugged them into the Intel DQ77MK motherboard and they work brilliantly. Oddly enough Windows 2012 R2 Server reports them as Intel Pro 1000 NICs lol
  9. T

Silly Question about rackmount rails

It's not the weight so much as the awkwardness of it all. I tore my lumber muscles trying to move an old HP printer back in the mid 1990's. The network printers were the size of small houses back then. In construction you move something from here to there, and usually tend to have the room to...
  10. T

Some nice feedback here. I have some short 3U server cases that I am using to house my hypervisor nodes. Yes, 3U! Sadly some of the cards I had originally were full height and I hate riser cards. I might see if I can get hold of an old broken 2U Dell server and some rails. A mate of mine is...
  11. T

Hi Everyone I have been installing servers of all sorts for years in my job. Even played about with rack cabinets at home as well. The one thing that has always bugged me are how poor and awful to use the rackmount rail kits are. The best by far that I have used are the Dell ones that just...
  12. T

Great feedback so far :) Thank you very much to @badskater and @Marsh I will hopefully be booting my diskless hypervisor machines in the Cluster from iSCSI. This will enable me to run both Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V and VMware ESXi on the same hardware as and when I need to. Although I...
  13. T

Hi Everyone After my incompatible issue with the Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad port NICs and my Intel DQ77MK motherboard I thought I would ask some advice on these HP NICs. Has anyone got them running? Do they work with Windows Server 2012 R2 and VMware ESXi 5.5 and later? Does anyone know if they...
  14. T

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

How about this one then????? :eek: Dell Force10 Z9000-AC Core and Fabric Switch, 32x 40GbE ports, Dual AC PSU | eBay
  15. T

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

This Cisco switch looks good with a mix of BaseT and SFP+ ports. Pricey though, and fairly new so will probably be a while before any second hand ones become available Cisco SG500XG-8F8T-K9-G5 - CSB 16-PORT 10GIG MANAGED SWITC - IN | eBay This is a bit pricey as well..... but look at what you...
  16. T

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

I don't think you can get an SFP+ 10G-Base-T transceiver. I have looked for ages. It apparently has something to do with the power usage on the SFP+ standard being to low for 10G-Base-T. I have seen SFP+ to 10G-Base-T external converter boxes. But these also require external power and are...
  17. T

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

There are both switches and network cards that have the "Base-T" ethernet connector. So just fit the normal CAT6 ethernet ends. Then use patch leads like normal. Intel make 10G-Base-T network cards amongst others
  18. T

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Hi All After the documented issues on here that I had with my Quad Port 1Gbe cards I have thought "Why don't I just bite the bullet and go 10Gbe" With this is mind I have been chatting with @nry ,another forum member ,who has a Dell PowerConnect 8024F switch and is very happy with it. If you...
  19. T

Next NAS - Time to shed spinning disks?

Why use SSDs? Because you can! :D As you say Patrick you have these disks laying around anyway so make use of them. I have a 4 x 128GB SSD RAID array in my storage server. I think it is RAID5 or RAID6. I'd have to check. This runs the OS for the server. All my other 16 disks are currently 1TB...
  20. T

New home NAS and Hypervisor setup

The USB 3.0 bits I ordered turned up the other day and I got them all fitted. Went with all inateck in the hope they would all play nicely together 1 x inateck KT4004 PCIe x1 USB 3.0 card 1 x inateck FEU3NS-1E USB 3.0 2.5" Portable HDD Enclosure 1 x inateck Carry Case for Portable HDD...