Search results

1. C

Looking for unique PCIe cards with drivers

Hey all, I wasn't sure where else to post. I'm looking for unique PCIe cards with drivers available to play around with. I just like trying out different things in my build. I keep finding really interesting, even if older / dated PCIe cards for data compression, SSL / crypto, etc but I end up...
  2. C

Supermicro H11DSi-NT Dual AMD EPYC Motherboard Review

Is it me or do these EPYC boards and often other SuperMicro boards seem to have fairly weak MOSFET/VRM/FETs/Chokes setups with dinky heatsinks? Some are spread around. But if you compare them with workstation class boards from ASUS for example, it seems night and day. It's just kind of...
  3. C

The Million IOPS Club Thread (Or more than 1 Million IOPS)

Patrick, do you think they'll release x4 M.2 Optane drives soon-ish? Would be better for an x16 adapter.
  4. C

My September 2017 Workstation Build

It's sub-par, insufficient, when you consider how much Zen's performance gains for higher RAM speed. If I'm going to spend $1000+ bucks, why the hell am I going to gimp myself for no reason? Yeah, I get it, most people on here or around don't really care when it comes to their server and...
  5. C

a little weekend project for my server build...

Looks good! Nice to see someone pay extra attention to their system. Definitely looks better when consistent. I probably would have cut it super crooked & misaligned, knowing how clumsy I am.
  6. C

So again I suppose, if you want performance & ECC in a kit, well you're out of luck and will be for the foreseeable future. It's not an issue for folks building servers but if you want one system for content creation, simulations, gaming, storage, etc, you have to compromise on RAM unlike the...
  7. C

I feel like this is already a natural progression that will come out since RDIMMs make sense in the EPYC ecosystem with the 8 channels. Capacity is increasing as well; since this is a focus in the enterprise realm. So I think they'd become more available and trickle down without fuss to other...
  8. C

Reminds me again how awful the forced & arbitrary market segmentation is for ECC which ends up leaving a lack of options. You have to choose between ECC or no ECC because all the kits out there bog basic slow MHz. The JEDEC standard for DDR4 is already at 3200MHz. Surprise, surprise, no kit...