Search results

1. E

AVX512 and Monero mining

Sorry if this is a necropost, but I figured I'd share... Look for Argon-based coins if you want to take advantage of AVX-512. I've been playing with nimiq on and off for 18 mos and the miner from sushipool takes advantage of the newer instruction set. Turtle recently forked to an Argon variant...
  2. E

It's quiet in here...but I'm still chugging along

Sure, but what's a typical CNv7 hashrate on an optimally modded 580? (using xmr-stak under Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 for the sake of discussion) If the hashrate and cost of a 580 are roughly half of a Vega 56, then the 580 is not better - you need twice the space, slots, and electricity to get the...
  3. E

It's quiet in here...but I'm still chugging along

So the saying goes: Be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy! I've been GPU mining for over 7 years now. The time to upgrade and crank out coins is when the markets are down and everyone seems to have lost interest. Also a good time to buy coins, but that's not...
  4. E

can x16 slots be split? (ie into 2+ slots of x8)

The answer depends on what you're trying to do. What cards you putting in the slots? In my pcie splitter thread https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pcie-3-0-switch-multiplexer-expander-for-vega-mining.18243/ I linked to a couple products https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W9KCFC and...
  5. E

PCIe 3.0 Switch/Multiplexer/Expander for Vega Mining

I had not thought of that, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the idea!
  6. E

ELI5: Why are YOU mining crypto currency?

I love the idea that I can leave my computer running some software that ultimately makes me money. During the .com bubble in the late 90's I ran probably ten different ad programs on multiple computers. Basically all they did was show banner ads at the bottom of the screen and the companies...
  7. E

Sure, that's why all my Vegas are running under Windows right now. But let's be clear: I'm not looking for "some way" to get my Vegas mining (the world already has that). I'm looking to make them work under linux. Why? Aside from the simple fact that Windows sucks, maintaining these rigs is...
  8. E

China to exit the Crypto Currency Mining market

When the price of BTC gets "too high" the Chinese govt engages in a little sabre rattling to knock it back down. It's been this way since 2013. They are bald-faced price manipulators, nothing more. And good luck to them if they really want to eliminate bitcoin mining, trading, or usage. It...
  9. E

XRP Ripple

I hear you funkywizard. Isn't it sad that we have to resort to using ripple for cheap inter-exchange transfers when that's supposed to be one of the functions of nearly all the cryptos? If/when multiple exchanges support Segwit and/or lightning then I can see your use case for ripple...
  10. E

A lot of people are mining Cryptonight and Cryptonight-lite coins using Radeon RX Vega cards under Windows because of two key stumbling blocks that make it impractical to mine with Vegas under Linux. 1) The first stumbling block is scalability: in order mine with a Vega under Linux, the...
  11. E

XRP Ripple

Ripple is exclusively a trading currency - it has no underlying value, is tied to Ripple the company, it is not a cryptocurrency, and it is not yet in use by its target audience! Its market price is 100% tied to the hype cycle. When (and I do mean WHEN) the hype dies the price will crash even...
  12. E

Very curious but overwhelmed...should I get into all the crypto currency fun?

I started mining over 6 years ago. I couldn't agree more with Patrick's points, though I'm going to put a different spin on it... Only get into mining if you are either: a) planning to keep it small and just for fun (i.e. mine on your existing desktop or servers, but not buy a bunch of extra...
  13. E

Vega 64 performance

That's awesome, I haven't seen one that low around here. Their website boasts "Lowest bills in the state" and I believe it. I just checked out Hudson Light's website and it says they tack on another 4.2 c/kwh Power Adjustment Charge. Still WAY better than ours. And looking at the demand...
  14. E

Vega 64 performance

Which town? In Marblehead the municipal electric is closer to $.16/kwh