Search results

1. T

Low-cost NICGIGA 10GbE SFP+ adapter (X520-DA1)

I thought this was worth spreading the word about - 45 pounds sterling here in the UK (57 dollars/53 euros) from Amazon. Uses an Intel 82599 chip. I fitted it in my Windows 7 x64 box, installed the ProWin legacy drivers and has worked like a charm since 22nd Jan. iperf3 reports 7.77Gb/s, between...
  2. T

B2C equivalent of STH?

I'm looking for one or more independent hardware review sites similar to STH but focussed on the pro consumer as opposed to business user. Is there such a site? Too many PR regurgitators in the consumer space and those that publish reviews invariably have holes in the reviews where the product...
  3. T

10Gbit card for desktop

Have a look here, https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/home-lab-moving-to-10gbe.16594/ - I've been running this setup for over 4 years. I have exactly the same switch as you. 4 years down the line and I'm still a networking newbie, and I haven't gone beyond the 2 ports, it's just...
  4. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Thank you :)
  5. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Hello, chaps. So, all the kit has arrived. I decided to start with the cabling(fs.com #42270) and transceivers (fs.com #65334). Now, it all seems to fit together correctly, indeed I deliberately tried the incorrect orientation and of course, it doesn't fit. So, I have a patch cable terminated...
  6. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Thank you for the advice on the Mellanox Connect-X 2 card. It is going into a custom-built silent PC with no airflow, so I can add a case fan to blow directly on it (PCIe slot 5 in an ASRock z97 Extreme9 board).
  7. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

@leonman I'm in the UK, here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-1510-20-Gigabit-Stackable-Managed/dp/B00H554JL4 Added a post to the low-cost switches thread, too.
  8. T

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

From another thread (Home Lab moving to 10GbE), for my British compatriots, D-Link DGS-1510-20 Price: £180 1GbE - 16 + 2 SFP 10Gbase-T - 0 10Gb SFP+ - 2 Link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-1510-20-Gigabit-Stackable-Managed/dp/B00H554JL4 $300 at amazon.com, so for...
  9. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Nearly there (I think). Mellanox ConnectX-2 and TP-Link T1700G-28TQ ordered. From fs.com, I have opted for 4x Mellanox MFM1T02A-SR Compatible Transceiver (Mellanox MFM1T02A-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM) and 2x 30m LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex 2.0mm LSZH OM3 Multimode Fiber Optic Patch...
  10. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Thank you chaps! Yes, I will go 4x SFP+, I don't mind spending a little more for the expandability. Thank you for the link to the low-cost Mellanox adapter - that's more like it! fs.com shipping, yes, it's noticeably more than for most, but it's not a showstopper - and they have a huge range.
  11. T

Home Lab moving to 10GbE

Hi All, Hopefully the attached image gives a good idea of the setup I have in mind (blue cable is 1GbE). I have yet to buy the items in red and I'm looking for recommendations. What I have found so far is: 2xSFP+ switch = D-Link DGS-1510-20 ~= £180 SFP+ NIC = StarTech PEX10000SFP ~= £175 FO...