Search results

1. S

Code Compilation, Web Server, Game Hosting... Epyc, Threadripper, or Consumer CPU?

From what I've seen, shader compilation is unfortunately just slow in general if you have a lot of shaders unless you have a ton of cores. Some games precompile all of their shaders on the loading screen on first-run after installation (or after a patch that changes the shaders) instead of doing...
  2. S

Code Compilation, Web Server, Game Hosting... Epyc, Threadripper, or Consumer CPU?

Actually that is something that might be impacting your UE4 build times in addition to CPU capacity - did you find yourself running out of ram and hitting swap/pagefile? Not sure if the FX-8350 can even take more than 16GB, since its an old DDR3 era platform. I know some DDR3 desktop platforms...
  3. S

[Solved] Missing instruction sets on SPR 8461v E3 EVQS (on X13SEM/X13DEI vs. X13SEI)

I am using a 3U server cooler from dynatron, the S6: S6 | Dynatron - it should still be within spec for the socket in vertical-board orientation, I would think. It gets a bit loud under load, but not any louder than the A6000 with its blower cooler already does under load. I used the same cooler...
  4. S

If you want to use small nodes for lighter work, I would recommend checking out STH's tiny mini micro series & general SFF PC reviews here https://www.servethehome.com/tag/mini-pc/. Patrick & the STH crew have reviewed quite a number of small form factor PCs. My actual homelab (not the...
  5. S

Personally, I went the route of having more focused builds per class of task, but I get that is not always within the monetary, spacial, electrical, and/or spousal/partner/roommate approval budgets of someone's living situation. When it comes to my production/non-lab servers: I run my game...
  6. S

[Solved] Missing instruction sets on SPR 8461v E3 EVQS (on X13SEM/X13DEI vs. X13SEI)

Ran the final tests I wanted to get in: TME works when enabling it after installing ubuntu. Win11 installed just fine w/ all the drives enabled during installation on this new cpu. -- I guess with that, I can consider my issues resolved - they all either got fixed by the cpu swap, or they...
  7. S

Ok! So the intel code sample & AMX code detection is working just fine in ubuntu too, with and without a hypervisor. (Kernel version of my fresh install is 6.2) Two issues I did encounter though: I had to disable TME to get the ubuntu installer to work, otherwise it would throw an error about...
  8. S

Good luck with the build, and it would be interesting to know if you get consistent behavior. Anyways I just got back a bit earlier than expected, going to reinstall my ubuntu drive (as well as do a fresh install of ubuntu on it) and do that testing next. I'll hopefully have time after to get...
  9. S

Update on testing: (Win10) With the new CPU, I was still unable to get the AMX demo code working on Win 10 still regardless of hypervisor on/off, but at least it wasn't giving me Illegal Instruction crashes, it was just quietly exiting. Its likely Win10, like linux, requires special buffer...
  10. S

Success! In windows 11 at least. Without a hypervisor, its basically the same except it doesn't have the first-run corrupt output (I did not change or recompile the executable, I just used the one I created earlier, so its not initializing the buffers any differently), and is able to execute it...
  11. S

Ok, I'm back home from dinner and got the new chip in the house. Just did the test on Win11 w/ hypervisor (on the original cpu), but no dice, which is worrying... Fingers crossed that it works with the new chip, because that will be a serious disappointment if the chips can only do AMX or run a...
  12. S

I think sam55todd was referring to what is happening w/ AMX on my system? It did show up in HWINFO Win10 when a hypervisor is not running. The demo code failed It didnt show up in HWINFO on Win10 when a hypervisor is running. The demo code failed It did show up in HWINFO Win11 when a hypervisor...
  13. S

Quick update from a low-effort test I'm running during meetings: Rebooting the computer & rerunning the program reliably reproduces a corrupted output on the first attempt every time for me, so I think it is an issue w/ first-time buffer initialization in the cut down demo code when running at...
  14. S

For linux, I could find documentation saying that you needed kernel version 5.16 or later to support the large buffer, but for windows there was nothing beyond vague statements from microsoft and intel saying "its supported" on Win10 and Win11, and code that works (ONNX, openVINO) - but it would...
  15. S

Ok so some updates: I got win11 installed, but I had to disable all the other drives except the one that I was installing to from the bios. Not sure why, but this got it to install without dropping the drives off the pcie bus I added some amendments to the instructions due to differences in...
  16. S

Yes, thats why they need to be removed in steps 8.4.1-3
  17. S

Oh excellent points Bayleyw. To be honest, I'm not 100% certain what I updated (and didn't) when I had last updated the install scripts, and some of whats in there is untouched and dates back to 2016. Those parts contain a bunch of 'build & install stuff manually from source off github' due to...
  18. S

No, the windows 10 & ubuntu 22.04 were fresh new installs on this hardware, but I ran some setup scripts on them immediately after installing them which automate a lot of first-time setup. In fact, the drives falling off the bus with windows 11 took me by surprise because the installer for...
  19. S

Ok, I believe I've figured out what is going on with VMX. sam55todd, are you running any hypervisors? (ex, hyper-v, virtualbox) Sounds like you have set one up already. Turns out that CPUs hide the VMX/AMD-V flag if a hypervisor has already 'grabbed' it, and lock out the instructions from any...
  20. S

Yeah, so I was thinking that there shouldn't be a selectable option for AMX either - like AVX512, I would expect it to just be always-on (like it is for everyone else's chips), except for some reason its not for my chip. I was just checking for one just to be sure.