Search results

1. E

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

So I am getting a few mini pc. Starting with 2 elite mini 800 g9, probably 4 more will follow. While the chassis stack nicely, I am not looking forward to a power brick farm and the excess cables. 6 of these shouldn't pull more than 700 watts fully maxed out. 700 watts can be handled by 1...
  2. E

all-fiber in the house?

I wired my last house with CAT6A (I literally replaced cable coax and old pots throughout a 5500+ sq. foot house by myself). I divorced and moved into a new house where the LV guy ran CAT6 (all of it stapled to the framing, of course, plus a ton of useless coax. The only forward thought is one...
  3. E

Looking for a recommendation of a 22110 (or 2280) that is cool to the touch

CudaCool. CoolCuda's rhythm is a spondee which might work in latin, but not so well in English. CudaCool is strong weak strong which fits rhythmically into most sentences easily.
  4. E

Letting go of old machines etc

I am pretty vicious about tossing out recycling old desktops after extracting the storage. The storage hoarding can become and issue: I had a os disk that went from XP >win7>win8>win10 and migrating to 11 was a PITA. I cloned to an NVME to get off spinning rust and then I learned my partition...
  5. E

Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

I just bought it on Amazon for $18, delivered tomorrow.
  6. E

Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

HP slimline docking station for the elitebook 850 just gave up the ghost for me. It will power the laptop, but not fully dock it. One obvious failure is the latching pin furthest from the power post doesn't latch - mechanical failure as the latch is loose in the docking station. More...
  7. E

Winload.efi error after hardware migration

What partitions do you have on your disks?
  8. E

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Last known good downgrade? Flashback.
  9. E

Edge's gaming workstation thread.

I am still building these systems. I got one for myself as well since I am back on x79 and it is time to move to the current decade;). The physical order dependencies are one thing, but I keep running into asinine serial problems as well. First, corsair has their rgb fan node & controller...
  10. E

Looking for a kind soul with HPE Storever support active account

I would help you if I could. I was forcibly retired/took the package from HPE and have no access. If you really need that firmware, pay them.
  11. E

Looking for a kind soul with HPE Storever support active account

Good luck. Avoid hp like the plague. "We warrantee our product until you buy it. Flawed firmware due to bad software engineering? Buy a support contract and we will give you a differently flawed firmware that fixes your problem but introduces a new one."
  12. E

Gigabyte Backdoor

Beta, not real. More press release than news. Distilled: by default we still maintain our right to update your system without your knowledge or consent, we are just going to poorly attempt to be sure it is us. Take this beta bios developed by the insecurity idiots that gave you the production...
  13. E

Gigabyte Backdoor

I have 3 Aorus x670e extreme MB that are on the list. The main culprit in the BIOS is GCC (gigabyte control center). This is the firmware hook gigabyte uses to update your systems firmware, drivers, and malware. It can be set disabled. I also disabled wake on lan. The article includes URLs...
  14. E

Recommendation for a decent 10G Base T 6+1 or 8 Switch (EDIT:and SMB Multichannel)

10GbaseT was and is a badly flawed idea. It kept alive the idea that copper has a place in any future network, when in reality copper dissipates so much energy as heat that it doesn't make sense over distances greater than traces. I wired my last house cat 6a - everything ran too hot and/or...
  15. E

I bought expensive backdoors. https://www.securityweek.com/organizations-warned-of-backdoor-feature-in-hundreds-of-gigabyte-motherboards/ All the x670 boards are on the list. I haven't used Gigabyte server boards, so I don't know if they are on the list, but my suspicion is yes. This is...
  16. E

The build is a PITA. Order dependence (don't put the heatsinks back on the NVME drives if you build the system to test outside the case as two standoffs are under the nvme heatsinks). Add in the very nice gigabyte ability to flash the bios in an unpopulated bare motherboard comes with the...
  17. E

<Evening rant> The RGB bling is causing me more learning time than anything else in these builds. A whole nother level of yadda yadda not compatible my company proprietary controlling software is better than yours industry non standard bleck. Makes water cooling pencil unlocked dual athlons...
  18. E

Those 3090s are going in my ML system.
  19. E

I had too many Precisions and too little time

You really need to watercool all your Precisions >;-}
  20. E

Not really a workstation, but close. I just moved into a new house and needed to get my kids computers. They are 10 and 11 and both are gamers. 2 years ago, I bought them Dell Alienware R12s - they have aged even more poorly than they perform (how do you make an RTX 3090 run like cr**, Dell...