Search results

1. RBE

It's quiet in here...but I'm still chugging along

I have been running three of my 2-node OCP Windmill servers 24/7, supplemented with another three that I fire up at night. Its winter here in New Zealand, and the heat output from these servers keeps my house nice and warm. The XMR that are mined pay for the additional power used by the servers...
  2. RBE

What's up in the last 24-48 hours?

On the flip side, there seems to of been a commensurate drop in difficulty. This is good news if you are of the HODL persuasion and believe that the price of XMR will increase again in the future. However it is bad news if you have to sell coins regularly in order to pay the electricity bill.
  3. RBE

[NZ] FS: Wiwynn SV7210 2-node Servers

Bump, plus price drop to $1,399 NZD per server.
  4. RBE

Wither Dwarfpool?

My ping is around 42ms to both Dwarfpool and Mine XMR - not bad considering I am at the end of the earth. Thing is, most of the time Dwarfpool is solid as a rock, but just lately it has been throwing its toys. Switch to MineXMR and the problem goes away, so I am not convinced it is the ping time...
  5. RBE

Wither Dwarfpool?

Anyone know what is up with Dwarfpool? I am experiencing large numbers of rejected and duplicate shares - something that has only started to happen in the past week or two. Most of the time its fine, but every now and again its like something is wrong at the pool end... Can someone recommend a...
  6. RBE

[NZ] FS: Wiwynn SV7210 2-node Servers

I currently have 18 Wiwynn SV7210 2-node servers for sale to New Zealand based readers. These are also known as OCP "Windmill" servers. Each node contains: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2660 V1 CPUs 2 x 4GB ECC Registered DDR3 DIMMs Asking price is $1,499 NZD per server, which includes GST but excludes...
  7. RBE

[NZ] FS: Wiwynn SV7210 aka "Windmill" Cluster

Price reduced to $28K including GST.
  8. RBE

Bump, for any New Zealand based readers.
  9. RBE

Verrified List of Threadripper X399 Motherboards that function in ECC mode

If your use case for Threadripper requires ECC memory, why not look at putting together an EPYC based build instead? With something like the Supermicro H11SSL-i motherboard, you get guaranteed support for up to 1TB of registered ECC DDR4 2666MHz memory with all the benefits this brings, i.e. an...
  10. RBE

Time to sell the home lab / cryptonight mining cluster. This consists of 18 x Wiwynn SV7210 2-node servers, each node containing: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2660 V1 CPUs 2 x 4GB ECC Registered DDR3 DIMMs 1 x Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 48 Lite 1 x Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 24 Lite 1 x Ubiquiti EdgeRouter...
  11. RBE

Monero Mining Performance

Dang. Based on those hash rate and pricing figures, the Baikal N miner has a monetary hashing efficiency of 5.6H/s/$ when mining XMR. That sure makes the 1.7H/s/$ I am getting using OCP servers look fairly abysmal in comparison. Not to mention that the Baikal N has a power hashing efficiency of...
  12. RBE

STH AEON xmrig 1MB L3 cache Docker miner testing

@Marsh The values used for the hard and soft limits should match both the huge page size and the number of huge pages allocated. Use the following command to determine the huge page size: $ grep Hugepagesize /proc/meminfo In my case this shows that the Hugepagesize is set to 2048kB. The next...
  13. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

Progress on the BSMC has temporarily stalled due to the late arrival of the black network cable boots I ordered several weeks ago. In the mean time, lets talk money. The following table provides a high-level overview of the costs involved in setting up the BSMC. Note that this table includes the...
  14. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

@jamesy_1988 Here you go. Note that these combs have been designed for UTP Cat5e network cable with an outside diameter of 5mm. If you are laser cutting the combs yourself, be sure to run a heat gun over both sides of each one afterwards to ensure there are no sharp edges that could ultimately...
  15. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

@Joel I did consider making the BSMC a multi-rack system early on, and went so far as to get quotes for five racks to be manufactured. I used to day-dream about being able to walk in and see these five racks humming away, power LEDs blinking. Looking back, I am glad that I did not pursue a...
  16. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

The network cabling continues apace. Rather than make up 72 cables from scratch, I went and purchased a whole heap of black and blue Cat5e patch cables instead. By cutting these 5m long patch cables in two, I have been able to reduce the number of RJ-45 plugs that I have to crimp by half. As you...
  17. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

Not at all. Having designed the rack, I made sure that the rivets would be able to handle the applied shear stress, and added a decent factor of safety to account for the fact that the rack will be located in an earthquake zone. Speaking of which, the castors you can see in post #8 are a...
  18. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

Good question. Once I have finished running the network cabling, and have installed the power slice and associated intelligent extension bars, the rack will be moved into an industrial space. Based on the E5-2660 V1's TDP of 95W, the rack will throw out approximately 6.6kW of waste heat when...
  19. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

I went and picked up the revised network switch sled this week. As you can see from the following shot, the ES-48-LITE no longer extends past the back edge of the sled. I also took the opportunity to change the material thickness from 1mm to 1.6mm CRS, and to move the cable slot forward a bit...
  20. RBE

Blue Sky Mining Cluster

Now we are starting to get somewhere. I have just returned from the fabricator, having paid for the custom rack and arranged delivery. Here are a couple of photos I took of the rack sitting on the factory floor. The first one is a shot of the rack from the back. Note the full-length tabs...