Search results

1. nkw

Ubiquiti users report having access to others’ UniFi routers, cameras

Ubiquiti users report having access to others’ UniFi routers, cameras Yikes. I used to be a big fan of Ubiquiti but they have had a lot of missteps (several involving security) the past few years. I've slowly been swapping their stuff out of my home/lab network and a couple of non-profit sites...
  2. nkw

Supermicro BIOS updates for spectre/meltdown (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754)

Supermicro has put up a page detailing BIOS updates for their motherboards to mitigate spectre, meltdown, etc. There is a lot of "pending" for anything older than X11 series. Security Vulnerabilities Regarding Side Channel Speculative Execution and Indirect Branch Prediction Information...
  3. nkw

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke $749.99 at Newegg

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11G OC 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com I suppose these days "in stock" is a "great deal", but FWIW. Says sale ends Monday.
  4. nkw

Supermicro Chassis or Power Supply to GPUs

I have more SC846 chassis and SuperMicro 1k power supplies sitting around than I am really utilizing and am wondering if anyone has tried repurposing these for GPU mining? Several people are selling breakout boards to take HP server power supplies and break them into 6-pin or 8-pin PCIE power...
  5. nkw

Intel Optane 900P 280GB 2.5" SSD $359.99 - Newegg

Optane SSD 900P 280GB 3DX - Newegg.com Not exactly smoking hot, but this is the lowest price I have seen for these. It appears to be on sale for the next 10 hours. I did notice when researching pricing that the model numbers without the Star Citizen promo are starting to appear at resellers...
  6. nkw

MCX354A-QCBT vs MCX354A-FCBT

Purchased what was listed on ebay as a MCX354A-FCBT (the Dual FDR 56Gb/s or 40/56GbE version according to Mellanox). What shows up is a MCX354A-QCBT (the Dual QDR 40Gb/s or 10GbE version). Looking at the hardware it seems pretty much the same and there are some threads that suggest I can flash...
  7. nkw

ConnectX-3 v ConnectX-4 for Dual Port Usage

Since the ConnectX-3 is PCIe Gen3 x 8, my understanding from some back of the envelope figuring is that it is not able to saturate/handle both ports at full rate. (i.e. the bus max is going to be 985MB/s * 8 lanes * 8 bits or approximately 63 mbit/s or so vs 80 mbit/s for both ports). Is this...
  8. nkw

Verifying authenticity of SSDs

I've been purchasing a variety of Intel DC SSDs off ebay lately from a variety of sellers ranging from large well known equipment liquidators to sketchy sellers with 0 feedback. Given the prices for SSDs seem insanely high right now and an awareness of the rampant problem of fake/counterfeit...
  9. nkw

X9-DRi-LN4F+ questions

I purchased some SC826 servers from the ebay with the intention to ditch the motherboards they came with and install a couple of recently acquired X11SPH-nCTPF boards. One of the servers showed up with an E5-2690 in a X9-DRi-LN4F+, so I thought I might put it to use. In researching I came...
  10. nkw

m.2 2280 (80mm) nvme with PLP

Does such a beast exist?