Search results

1. nkw

Ubiquiti users report having access to others’ UniFi routers, cameras

Ubiquiti users report having access to others’ UniFi routers, cameras Yikes. I used to be a big fan of Ubiquiti but they have had a lot of missteps (several involving security) the past few years. I've slowly been swapping their stuff out of my home/lab network and a couple of non-profit sites...
  2. nkw

ES Xeon Discussion

I have two X11SPH-NCTPF based systems currently populated with Xeon Silver 4110s. I would like to spend some eBay money and upgrade these (moar CORES! moar POWER!). These are in my personal lab so I don't mind playing around with ES cpus. I understand some of the OEM 'special' cpus may require...
  3. nkw

More shady stuff from pfsense

One can download and run locally from here: GitHub - mwood77/pf2opn: An in-browser pfsense to opnsense converter.. I have not done so; nor have I read the code, just passing along the info if someone is concerned about using the website posted in the reddit thread.
  4. nkw

New statement from Netgate: Addressing Changes to pfSense Plus Home+Lab I don't really have any stake in this other than running a pfSense CE instance, but this is usually the type of stuff companies do as they are heading down the tubes.
  5. nkw

Opinions on alternatives to pfSense? I guess OPNsense if one wants to stay with *BSD, for Linux alternatives maybe VyOS or RouterOS?
  6. nkw

Lack of CSE 846 chasis

I have three CSE-846 chassis that have been sitting in storage unused that I should probably get rid of. One is new/never installed and two are used. The new one is a CSE-846A-R1200B and has the BPN-SAS-846A direct attach backplane and 2x PWS-1K21P-1R. I believe the two used ones have one of the...
  7. nkw

buying an LTO Ultrium drive suggestions?

I recently purchased a Dell PowerVault TL2000 off ebay with a LTO6 drive for some personal/side-project work. As somebody that hadn't touched tape since DDS-2, I thought it was awesome. I think the one I purchased was used by the government and turns out according to the service tag has 4 hour...
  8. nkw

FS: Loads of LGA 2011 Heatsinks!

Doh! I just purchased 4 of these off Amazon last week. Good luck with the sale.
  9. nkw

Potential deal on Supermicro 846B chassis with SAS2/920P-SQ/more

When I was shopping for SC846s what made or broke the deal was usually shipping. The 920P-SQ and rear hot swap kits do make these more attractive than your run of the mill SC846.
  10. nkw

AEON Mining Performance

Nope. That is running the av1 image though instead of the priv image. On the priv image I was running numthreads=6.
  11. nkw

AEON Mining Performance

I'm running numthreads=12 with the av1 image on both the D-1541 and D-1537. I'm getting approximately 1040 H/s on the D-1541 and 860 H/S on the D-1537.
  12. nkw

AEON Mining Performance

Nice. I think I might need some configuration pointers from you.
  13. nkw

AEON Mining Performance

# 1, 2, and 4 are 1070ti running stock except for a 108W power limit.
  14. nkw

If you had to pick an antivirus/anti-malware tool, which would you choose?

My personal view is third-party antivirus utilities introduce more (or more serious) vulnerabilities than they protect against. See, e.g., Project Zero: How to Compromise the Enterprise Endpoint and...
  15. nkw

Supermicro BIOS updates for spectre/meltdown (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754)

Supermicro has put up a page detailing BIOS updates for their motherboards to mitigate spectre, meltdown, etc. There is a lot of "pending" for anything older than X11 series. Security Vulnerabilities Regarding Side Channel Speculative Execution and Indirect Branch Prediction Information...
  16. nkw

Any NY Crypto Miners?

But also high proximity to the ocean and higher average temperatures. Every winter I threaten to leave the frozen tundra of the midwest and then I start running the numbers. Freezing in a large luxurious house gazing at cornfields versus comfortably gazing at the ocean from the back of the van I...
  17. nkw

How stable has the STH aeon pool been?

I've found it rock solid. There was a period of maybe a few minutes several weeks ago when I saw it go down (maintenance?) but otherwise I haven't had any problems.
  18. nkw

Any NY Crypto Miners?

There were a couple of people on /r/gpumining in the last couple of days that were looking for people in NY/NJ area to go in on a shared space so I imagine some people are doing it. Whether or not they are doing it profitably is a question, but there appear to be a fair number on here doing it...
  19. nkw

AEON Mining Performance

I started with "Hey, I noticed the power circuit feeding your closet isn't fully utilized" and negotiated down from there. We are now at "Just please don't burn the house down."
  20. nkw

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke $749.99 at Newegg

FYI - This one just went back in stock at Newegg and says the sale ends in two hours.