Search results

1. F

What can I do with this rig?

Dang, that's what I was thinking. Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
  2. F

What can I do with this rig?

I came into possession of this server and I want to know if it will be of use to me. This thing is HEAVY. It is populated with 24 500gb sata drives. I believe it has fiber connections in the back (which I do not have in my home setup). I have a Norco 4224 running unRAID and I want to have a...
  3. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

Wow, can't believe I made that simple math error. Haha, thanks for correcting me.
  4. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

Okay, I just re-read your previous post and it made sense to me. So if I were to connect the two onboard SAS 3gbps connectors, I would have 2.4GB/s total to divide among the 24 drives, which would be about 200MB/s? I think that answered my question. Thanks for the clarification :)
  5. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

Why is there a difference between 2 onboard SAS connectors versus 2 HBA SAS connectors? Do the motherboard SAS have fewer lanes?
  6. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

I have two SAS (SFF-8087) ports on my motherboard rated at 3gbps each. So could I use the motherboard ports instead of the card and keep those same 4.8GB/s speeds? Also, the LSI card I have has 6gbps SAS ports. Does that mean I would potentially have 9.6 GB/s if I connected two of those ports...
  7. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

So I would be looking at connecting only 1 or maybe 2 SAS cables from my motherboard to the backplane and no need for the LSI card? So the total bandwidth of two 3Gbps SAS ports on the motherboard would be divided amongst the 24 drives? So if I estimate 6Gbps divided by 24 drives would be...
  8. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

Thanks, I was definitely looking out for the SAS2 backplanes. With this motherboard and LSI card combo, I have 6 SFF-8087 cables. I'm a little confused as to how those cables would all go plugged in to this SAS2 backplane. Most importantly, what would be the max throughput for each drive when...
  9. F

Buying a Supermicro 4U

I want to change cases from a Norco 4224 to a Supermicro 4U 24-bay server chassis. This is my hardware: Motherboard: Supermicro: X9DR3-F-B CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2690 V2 Memory: 64GB Samsung PC3L-12800R DDR3 RAM SAS Card: LSI00244 9201-16i PCI-Express 2.0 I'm looking at this case on eBay...