Search results

1. B

File server + desktop solution Qs

Just so we're all clear here, the server will not host programs and applications. Any software required by my current build will be locally installed :) Most of what I use these days is all open source anyways....damn I love free software :P
  2. B

Hi vl, Thanks for the reply. After looking at my original post again I can see why there is some confusion over what setup I was hoping to achieve, which happens to be your 'or' option; that is 2 systems in total: my current build (does everything except makes toast) and a new build that would...
  3. B

KD, There's a lot to digest here, which isn't going to happen until later today or tomorrow. But can I ask quickly, is IPMI hard connection only or does it work over wifi? That will really determine how far down that rabbit hole I can go as I'm not in the position to be running cables at home...
  4. B

Patrick, Could you please expand on this a little. After reading it again this morning I'm not sure I follow as much as I did last night. Specifically, what do you mean about losing data when updating workstations? I know this is a really stupid question but I did make a disclaimer at the top...
  5. B

Hi KD, Thanks for the response. That's a lot more RAID than I can follow haha. By scratch do you mean cache? I had given up on the idea of RAID as I'd need a RAID card. I wanted to do the build in an ITX case...
  6. B

Hi Patrick, Thanks for dropping in/replying. You're answer is one I was afraid of :/ Not in the OP is that I rent an appartment so running ethernet everywhere, although ideal, is not really practical. I am fully resigned to sluggish pace of AC wifi for file transfers. Also not in that post is...
  7. B

Disclaimer: I'm a super noob when it comes to NA/file servers/pretty-much-anything-network-related. PLease be gentle with me. I recently moved my work pc to the living room after a bit of maintenance and have become quite accustomed to gaming on 42in tv I scored from a second hand store (for...