Search results

1. B

Aquantia 4/5/8 port 10Gb switch, when?

I wound up installing iperf3 on my NAS via Docker.. got upwards of around 7500Mb/s that way without tinkering with jumbo frames. My single foray into jumbo frames broke my VNC connection to my Mac, so I didn't go down that road again. Unfortunately Buffalo utilized their right and denied...
  2. B

I can't get anywhere near max, but it's the same with my old switch. I have an Intel X550-T2 in my desktop and I just added an AQN-107 to my old 2010 Mac Pro. I don't know if the either side is getting full bandwidth to the card, honestly. I'll have to investigate. At this time I'm getting a...
  3. B

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX4H997 I'll have to figure out how to effectively test performance.
  4. B

I received my switch from Amazon Marketplace. It was purchased as an open box unit, so technically marked as used for $385. I'm pleased to say that the box had no seal (just brown box), and all the internal contents were obviously sealed in their original bags.. so it must have been a return...
  5. B

OP, just wanted to make sure the Netgear XS505M and XS508M were on your radar. They are unmanaged, but they will achieve what you're after. I know they don't quite hit the mark but maybe you can grab one discounted, or tweak your use case to fit the smaller one. I actually just grabbed the 8...
  6. B

Intel X540-T2 bs X550-T2 in Synology

I live in the US, so I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the EU web stores. Best of luck to you.
  7. B

Sorry for the delay. Quick summary, no on the Asus card because it would not work with my CAT7 cabling, despite which device I used. For that reason I did not invest the time. I also finally yielded to Synologies recommendation and moved the X550-T2 card to my workstation and stuck an X540-T2...
  8. B

Home Lab: 10G SFP+ vs 10G Base-T in 2017 Q3

As someone that's currently adding 10Gbase-T, it's just about limited needs and simplicity (or familiarity). Initially I started digging into the various forums to augment my knowledge regarding SFP+ and the various cables and modules that I'd need. I was initially excited to learn something...
  9. B

A little follow-up.. I had some other things pop up that'll keep me busy for a bit. For now I've popped the X550-T2 into the NAS and it's working great out of the box. I'm using the Aquantia card in the PC for now, also great. I guess I need to peek around and look into tuning, but for now...
  10. B

My mind is a little bit blown that native 10G is already rolled into that ARM SoC. Shows what I know about ARM..
  11. B

I will try. I need a NIC for my workstation and a NIC for the NAS, so I've ordered both the ASUS and the X550-T2. I'm confident that the Intel NIC will work, but I will have to gauge my comfort level with trying to add drivers for the ASUS.
  12. B

This was beyond helpful, thanks.
  13. B

It's been years since I spent time with Linux, so my concern would be that I wouldn't possess the ability to do so. I appreciate the information though, and I'll look around for some examples of this. I spend a lot of time using Solaris at work, so I'm not totally obtuse.. but it doesn't...
  14. B

I haven't learned much so far, but a little. Guess I'll reply to myself. Synology got back to me and said that though the X540-T2 is the only 10G RJ45 NIC that they've tested, others may work. In addition, if I'd like to grab something else, they will support me in trying to get it working...
  15. B

I'm looking to add a 10G NIC to a Synology 1817+, which has a PCIe slot to do what I need. I was looking toward the X550-T2 due to lower power consumption, but I see that only the X540-T2 is on the Synology HCL. Does anyone have experience that would lead to believe the X550-T2 would likely...