Search results

1. J

Sick and tired of FreeNAS, need alternates>>>

That's a great point Gea. The ESXi idea looks like a good idea if I had a different setup. Those NVMe devices are a good idea, but the price on them is just too rich for my blood. Ideally I would like to pull this off without having to buy something. Is there a way your napp-it could work...
  2. J

I don't worry about storing other VM's. I have an EMC SAN on a 4gb fiber structure with enough room for the VM's I need. Actually, my storage on FreeNAS right now would have a portion of it dedicated to backing up the SAN. But back to the ESXi thing...are you suggesting that I install the...
  3. J

Thank you for the replies and ideas. I think the best one for my needs is openmediavault, but I wanted to clear up a few questions though. First, there does not seem to be many people using it. How is the support for this distro? Second, I am running a ZFS share from FreeNAS, but luckily for...
  4. J

OH and forgot to mention one thing. My boot environment is set on 16GB flash drive, and my storage is already set up for freenas. No way to mess with that because I have no backup of my data. Server is a Dell R510. So anything would have to go on flash drive
  5. J

I am not familiar with kvm or docker. does there exist a CLI bare metal hypervisor that is absolutely free? When it is not Microsoft, I am very much noob...
  6. J

I have been running a home server for about six years now, the setup going through various iterations in both hardware and software. The goal has always been the same, which was to virtualize desktops to thin clients through my house with centralized processing, networking, and storage...