Search results

1. C

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

I really can't say if any other cables will work or not. I believe others here have successfully used non-Mellanox cables, but can't say for sure which ones. A lot of people seem to be having good luck with cables from fs.com. Hopefully someone else can chime in with the cables they've had the...
  2. C

I'm not sure what you consider cheap, but I've been getting new Mellanox FDR DACs (1.5m and 2m) for around $35 on ebay, I'm sure FDR-10 cables would be less. Are you running a subnet manager on an infiniband connected machine? The SX6005 is unmanaged, it's just a dumb collection of copper until...
  3. C

I just finished setting up my FreeNAS, actually, and I was pretty disappointed to see there was no IB support. It does handle 56GbE pretty well (everything connected, anyway, haven't had a chance to test throughput yet), though. aa
  4. C

The unmanaged switches (SX6xx5) are not capable of ethernet. Ethernet mode requires a license on the managed switches (though no license is actually required on our flashed switches). To your first question, yes, flashing the unmanaged switches would be considerably easier. edit: another...
  5. C

The SX6005 cannot be converted to a managed switch, as it does not have the hardware necessary. You should be able to flash it to a normal SX6005 firmware, though, using the publicly available firmware (http://www.mellanox.com/page/firmware_table_SwitchX) and flint...
  6. C

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle...that worked. Thanks a ton for the quick reply!
  7. C

Hey all, I'm having some troubles flashing my switch. I've gotten everything up through step 6 of the guide, but when I try to boot into the new OS I get an endless stream of errors: U-Boot 2009.01 SX_PPC_M460EX SX_3.2.0330-82-EMC ppc (Feb 27 2013 - 12:13:42) CPU: AMCC PowerPC 460EX Rev. B...