Search results

1. B

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Thank you again for the detailed info, really appreciated. 24W idle is actually pretty decent for a 12 port 10GBase-T switch. I guess the dual PSU costs a few watts of efficiency, but still very acceptable. Of course noise is always subjective, but it seems like Mikrotik's new firmware has...
  2. B

So the new firmware did make that much of a difference in terms of noise? Have you tested how energy consumption of the switch is, especially when idle? That would be really interesting to know.
  3. B

Excellent, detailed post, thanks a lot for that. A lot more info than Mikrotik has been willing to give me on this switch (exactly nothing, they simply didn't reply to my mails). Looks like for a home environment at least, an additional investment in Noctuas is a necessity.
  4. B

Older Supermicro Chassis: Converting Rear-window to Support 2x2.5 Drive Cages?

Yes, it was not designed to fit there. To me it looks like a slim optical drive could fit, but as I have no use for that, I didn't pursue it any further. Of course if you're willing to use Dr. Dremel, you could always make it fit somehow. But for that particular 846 case, it wasn't worth the...
  5. B

Be careful with that. I actually own a 846A case, too, the SC846A-R1200B to be precise. I thought I could add two additional 2.5" bays at the back of the chassis just like I did with my 826A case. There is a small pre-cut area next to the PSUs (check the linked Supermicro webpage for pictures)...
  6. B

Sorry for the delay, I was busy and away from home. Here is the picture of the final mod I promised earlier (backside of my "converted" 826A to 826B chassis):
  7. B

I will post a pic from the back of the chassis once I'm back home.
  8. B

I have successfully done this modification with my 826A chassis. The little frame on the left that @Aestr mentioned isn't critical, you can still screw the drive cage to the new rear window and have enough stability that way. I used the article @K D mentioned as a general guideline. I removed...
  9. B

(Yet another) SC846 Thread

You can use the PWS-920P-SQ PSU with your PDB-PT846-N24: FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
  10. B

JBOD freenas expansion SuperMicro

Yes, that's a way to do it.
  11. B

JBOD freenas expansion SuperMicro

You don't have to replace the backplane if you have enough HBAs / SATA / SAS ports to connect 24 drives. In theory, that actually is the fastest way to connect your drives - expanders are always limiting bandwidth, even if that may not be really relevant in everyday use. Another advantage of...
  12. B

Supermicro X11DPi-N E-ATX Motherboard Review

It's a pity that from the Supermicro single socket 3647 lineup, only the highest end X11SPH-NCT(P)F board actually has OCULink connectors, unlike the dual socket boards like this one which is more of an entry level dual socket 3647 board. Expect those connectors to be more common in future...
  13. B

Sony WH1000-XM2/B

If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
  14. B

Samsung Z-SSD SZ985 'Z-NAND' Enterprise PCIe SSD

Samsung released performance details on the upcoming 'Z-NAND' enterprise PCIe SSD: http://www.samsung.com/us/labs/pdfs/collateral/Samsung_Z-NAND_Technology_Brief_v5.pdf Tom's Hardware article comparing it to Intel Optane P4800X and DC P3700 Nowhere near the write IOPS of Optane, but very low...
  15. B

Where are the Atom C3000 boards?

Plenty are available in Europe, some German dealers even have the 16 core variant in stock (prices in Euros, including VAT): Mainboards mit CPU mit CPU-Hersteller: Intel, CPU-Typ Intel: Atom, Gelistet seit: ab 2017 Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland
  16. B

linksys lgs552 cpu?

According to this review of the PoE version of the switch, the SOC is a Marvell 98Dx3036, a dual core ARMv7, although I couldn't find any info on the clock speed. Plenty of decent alternatives to the Linksys available fitting your criteria, though. To name a few: Cisco SG350X 48x RJ-45 1Gbps...
  17. B

Power Distribution Unit selection

That one should work fine for your needs. These PDUs can usually be configured via a web interface. Just connect the ethernet port to your network and access the web interface via browser.
  18. B

Yes. PDUs metering total load are considerably cheaper and there are plenty of options on eBay and such.
  19. B

You need a metered-by-outled switching PDU. Those aren't cheap, even second hand. APC ones are in the four figures MSRP, Eaton ones are similarly priced. Cyberpower has a few cheaper 1U models fitting the bill. The cheapest metered-by-outlet PDUs I found when I did some research were from Aten...
  20. B

New Supermicro x11sph-nCTPF won't power on

Yes, true, I meant as an alternative to the standard front panel connector for testing purposes, as you can connect each pin seperately. "PSU" was a brainfart.