Search results

1. F

Easiest way to make a windows system redundant?

Hi folks, I have a windows 8.1 system with 2 SSDs running SQL Server Express in addition to regular user applications like office and business accounting and pos software, etc. 1 ssd is the boot os drive and the other has client files as well as sql server data files and backups. As you can...
  2. F

S1400SP4 and RMS25CB080

Awesome, thank you. I was having a hard time finding this information.
  3. F

S1400SP4 and RMS25CB080

Hi Folks, I have an Intel S1400SP4 and planning to get a SAS Module to expand storage. Looking at the RMS25CB080. It meets my needs and budget. Only concern is whether I will lose the PCI slot utility due to the size of the SAS module. Can anyone tell me if installing the SAS module will...
  4. F

STH Aeon Mining Pool Beta Access

I'm in....if this makes sense on a single E5-2470 when idle or a GTX1070.
  5. F

ESXi: Moving VMs to another Datastore?

Would that be vCenter Server? Approx 2.4 GB download? Thanks! PS: Am I the only one that finds the VMWare product naming confusing?
  6. F

ESXi: Moving VMs to another Datastore?

Hi again, I am on ESXi 6.5 FREE version and would like to move a VM from Datastore1 to Datastore2 on the same host machine. VMs can be powered off and doesn't need to be a live migration. How can I do this? I have googled but they all apply to the paid versions or refer to using a vsphere...
  7. F

ZFS newbie coming from RAID needs handholding...erm advice...

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I am going to go 8 x Z3 or with 2 - 4 x Z2.
  8. F

Reliability > Performance > Space in that order. Space is not even a concern really. Have been getting by with a 2 x 2TB RAID1 mirror so far. I'm considering going RAIDZ3. If this were a hardware raid, I would go one big raid10 - 8 x 2TB RAID10. Thanks!
  9. F

Thanks for all the replies... Not familiar with zvols, some reading and research to do I guess. 1 pool with 2 shares makes sense. Any advice on the vdevs? 1 vdev with all 8 drives or split that into 2 vdevs with 4 drives each or something else entirely? The drives are within 1-2 years old...
  10. F

Planning to use ZFS for shared storage and need advice... This system has 8 x 3.5" drive bays and I was thinking of going RAID-Z2 with 8x2TB drives that I already have. I THINK I need 2 pools - 1 private pool for storing database backups and 1 pool for public file sharing. Backups are nightly...
  11. F

Accessing Intel BMC/IPMI over dedicated PCIe NIC on ESXi

Hi there, I have an Intel S1400 board with 2 on-board NICs from which I can access the Intel BMC when I use these 2 ports for uplink in ESXi. This system also has an Intel I350 addon-on PCIe NIC card with 4x1GB ports. When I use the addon card with the 4x1GB ports for uplink in ESXi I cannot...
  12. F

ESXI Sys Reset on Win10 Guest Shutdown

1. No, will install guest tools now and see if it works better. 2. Restart does not reset the host/system. Restart works fine! Only shutdown resets the system. Interesting... 3. This is VMware ESXi 6.5.0 (VMKernel Release Build 4887370) 4. This is a fresh install of win10pro with default...
  13. F

I've googled for variations of "CATERR system reset cpu error esxi guest os shutdown". But not really getting anywhere. Any links or keyword search suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PS: I've noticed my google search results have increasingly become less useful. I think I'm getting poor...
  14. F

Hi, I have an ESXI 6.5 system with Windows 10 Pro as a guest. The entire system runs fine as far as I can tell. The problem is when I shutdown the windows guest, the entire physical system does a system RESET. The sensor log shows a CATERR.. 870 11/04/2017 11:52:01 CATERR Processor reports...
  15. F

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

Sorry for the bump. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted solutions and suggestions in this thread. This worked without a hitch for the most part. Passed through a GTX1070 to Win10Pro on ESXi 6.5. Had an issue getting the nvidia driver working, turns out my windows version was...
  16. F

FreeNAS SLOG Device?

Thanks for the responses everyone! :) miniknight, perhaps I don't need one. I figured it would be better to have one if needed and thus question 1 about sharing a device. gea, while the primary purpose is backups, it may also have other uses like spinning up a backed up VM (rarely) or simple...
  17. F

FreeNAS SLOG Device?

Two quick questions: 1. Does the slog DEVICE need to be dedicated? Or can you have a dedicated slog PARTITION on a device that is used for other non-freenas purposes like file storage, etc. (Yes, I understand this will impact performance, but is it possible?) 2. I made question 2 into a poll...
  18. F

what's a decent ddr3 16gb ecc price these days?

I just bought 96GB (Nanya 6x16GB 1333 PC3L) for $96 on ebay through BO.
  19. F

S1400FP Fan Control / SDR Editing

I have an Intel S1400FP2 Server Board in a NON-Intel Chassis with a Noctua NH-U12DXi4 which is an active CPU cooler. (Comes with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan). The fan speed hits the lower critical threshold as the fan control is configured for higher speed fans meant for 1u chassis. This causes...