Search results

1. S

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

For a small pfsense/virtualization machine have you seen the minipcs? https://www.servethehome.com/almost-a-decade-in-the-making-our-fanless-intel-i3-n305-2-5gbe-firewall-review/ If you're ok without ecc I'd look into these you can get a whole system for around the price of that motherboard.
  2. S

@Daniel15 this thread answers your pcie bandwidth questions https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asus-w680-ace-block-diagram-storage-options.40044/ In short they are all usable simultaneously but the chipset bandwidth is limited to pcie 4 x 8 overall which is still a lot.
  3. S

Is a CPU required in motherboard that supports IPMI to control fans?

For the 847 chassis you need high static pressure because the backplane has terrible airflow. So running the 80mms fans slower may result in too high hdd temps. I would recommend doing a 120mm fan wall to replace the 80mm near the front. You can zip tie 3 together. With 120mm fans you can plug...
  4. S

Motherboard won't power, video or POST... but IPMI works

Some of the obvious questions for you: Do you have both 8 pin power connectors plugged in? Is the motherboard in a chassis? You could try running it on a piece of cardboard to see if there is a short somewhere.
  5. S

Help with my Fujitsu server fans

Glad you figured it out. 20db is very significant. I think trying the 3000 rpm Noctua makes sense given its the only fan. 2000 rpm fans have even lower noise but I think the airflow is too low
  6. S

Rackmount NAS Build Sanity Check

I think with your modest storage needs you're probably better off with SATA. An hba supporting SAS will add 10w or so. You can achieve 31tb with two disks now. With the upcoming HAMR drives it can even be one disk. I personally just replaced several 3 and 4 tb drives with a single 14tb mostly...
  7. S

For the Asus w680 users I noticed a bios and IPMI firmware update: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/workstation/pro-ws-w680-ace-ipmi/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=Pro-WS-W680-ACE-IPMI "“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site...
  8. S

Help with my Fujitsu server fans

Do you have to connect it to the sys fan header? Are there other chassis fan headers that could be used? Did you check all bios options for fan control? Did you try logging in to IPMI to see if there is fan control? Barring any of that you could replace the fan with one that has acceptable...
  9. S

Secondary GPU sleeping

You should check in your OS if ASPM is enabled. I believe you can see in windows device manager or in Linux using lspci -vv. If ASPM is enabled you may be able to achieve lower idle power on that card. You may need to turn on ASPM settings in bios.
  10. S

LSI 3108 on X10DRH-CT not able to use all my drives?

Did you try using the bios on the controller to enable the drives? Should be able to access with ctrl h on boot.
  11. S

Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 in Supermicro chassis - No PSU detected + Front panel lights

Asking the obvious Did you plug in the pmbus cable from the pdb to the motherboard? Also did you try rotating the hdd or pw led pin polarity just to check?
  12. S

New 300TB+ Data Hoarding NAS Build

I'm out of the loop on the secondary market, i didn't realize the 846 had dried up. Makes sense, everyone bought the 847 instead. I'd check Facebook too, a bunch of people bought these for chia mining and it quickly died off. Just an FYI The Intel w680 chipset supports ECC with lga 1700. The...
  13. S

New 300TB+ Data Hoarding NAS Build

Here's my 0.02c for you: If you have the space for the sliger and the 847, you may as well get two 847 chassis. Or 2x of the simpler 846 chassis with 24 drives. Plenty of room for pretty much any motherboard. Get an 8i and 8e HBA to have up to 48 drives. For the drives I'd recommend the exos...
  14. S

[WTB][US-NY] Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ or X9DR3-LN4F+ must be rev 1.2

I have an x9drd-7ln4f with 2x e5-2660v2 and 64gb ram if you're still looking. I'm in the Albany area.
  15. S

Here is my 0.02c with an i5-12600k: If they made an 12th/13th gen i3 with ecc support I probably would have got that. The i5-12600k is already overkill for plex / nas / nvr. I think the best value right now are the i5-12600k or i7-12700k which are about $200 or $250 right now. I think if you...
  16. S

Low Power - High performance multi-faceted AIO challenge

Do you actually need all 512gb ram? If so I think your only reasonable option is going to be Epyc. You can get a million pcie 3 lanes for pretty cheap. Not sure what your budget is. An example: AMD EPYC 7302p+Supermicro H11SSL-nc 16cores 32threads 3.0 GHz motherboard+ CPU | eBay This would...
  17. S

BPN-SAS2-846EL1 broken?

Sounds broken to me, any damage that you see to the backplane? i'd try to negotiate seller provide you some compensation so you can get another backplane. It is not too bad to remove and replace, at least then shipment of the heavy server is avoided.
  18. S

CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 & IPMI

I would try releasing your static IP and trying the default static IP it is shipped with 192.168.1.99 CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 JBOD POWER BOARD USER'S GUIDE - Supermicro https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/CSE-PTJBOD-CB3.pdf If not there is a reset procedure...
  19. S

[Help] My first home server to do a lot of different things!

You could ask about fractal define 7 xl or fractal torrent, phanteks enthoo pro 2.
  20. S

[Help] My first home server to do a lot of different things!

Why don't you figure out what e-atx cases you can get, then research the options. It's not productive for us to suggest cases you can't get