Search results

1. R

Free alternative to VMware Vsan

Well, ESXI is already paid for and budgeted for through the main IT budget, and Vsan is not and IT will not cover it. Thats just how it goes and its beyond my control, which is why I am asking for free alternatives.
  2. R

Proxmox isnt an option. ESXI is what we use.
  3. R

Hi Folks, I have 15 servers that I am repurposing for lab use. They are old, but decent. All servers have 48TB of raw storage space each, with LSI raid adapters. I will be running ESXI 6.5 or 6.7. I would like to converge the storage to a shared pool. Vmware Vsan would be perfect for what...
  4. R

FS: (Sacramento, CA, USA Area) Fractal Design NAS Case w/ X8SIL Motherboard/CPU/RAM

For local pickup in Roseville CA. Fractal Design NAS case, don't remember the model, but it is huge. Holds 14+ LFF drives. Included for free is Supermicro X8SIL-F motherboard w/ Xeon 4 Core CPU (forget which) and 32GB of DDR3 ECC RAM. No power supply. It worked fine when I shut it off...
  5. R

Opinions on HP ProCurve 10GBe Switches

That's a pretty old platform. It will run fairly hot and loud. The upside is that you don't have to buy transceivers for your switch. The downside is that its CX4. You nic selection will be pretty limited and you'll need to buy CX4 cables. CX4 cables are a pain to deal with.
  6. R

C7000 help!!!!

Get your OA updated to the most recent firmware. From the web UI of the OA you should be able to access to ILO. Once you have access to ILO, use the Proliant SPP disc to upgrade the firmware on each blade. After that use ILO to install whatever OS you want onto the blades. You'll need to...
  7. R

HP DL180G6 SAS HBA?

I had a DL180 G6 (actually its listed in the For Sale subforum right now). Good server other than the not ILO, LO100. I actually had an IBM M1015 adapter installed in mine (IT firmware), and it was very quiet. I had 14 drives installed and the fans never raced. I believe that I needed the...
  8. R

Easy OS for NFS and Samba Server

Hi All, I'm looking to make an NFS and Samba server for my lab at work. I work for a large tech company and I have inherited an old, but still useful 3Par T400 SAN. The SAN has about 90TB of storage on it. The SAN speaks only fiber channel and iscsi. I need to be able to serve up NFS and...
  9. R

1U Server or Wall Mount enclosure for single drive

Yeah, $100 is the total budget, I have the 3TB drive already. I've seen a few supermicro atom servers that pop up on ebay for around $100. I was thinking maybe one of those would work. Or some kind of 1 bay Synology device. But I'm certainly open to suggestions.
  10. R

1U Server or Wall Mount enclosure for single drive

Hi All, I'm looking for a low power, quiet 1U case to run a small 3TB NAS serving NFS. I have the 3 TB drive, so I need a case and a motherboard. It will only be using NFS, since I will be using it as a Vmware replication datastore. I would probably run Unraid on it(single disk, no parity)...
  11. R

Flash LSI with HP Firmware

Thanks, I hadn't realized that.
  12. R

Flash LSI with HP Firmware

Hello, I have an LSI branded SAS9211-8i adapter. I want to flash it with HP H220 firmware. This is the opposite of what most people want to do. I need the HP firmware so that the internal fans on my HP server run quietly. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to do this? What version of...
  13. R

FS or FT: HP DL180 G6 14 Bay Server L5640 - Sacramento CA Area

Thanks, but not interested in shipping. Pickup only.
  14. R

FS or FT: HP DL180 G6 14 Bay Server L5640 - Sacramento CA Area

Hi All, Asking $250. Not desperate or in a hurry to sell. Up for sale or for trade is a DL180 G6 Server. Comes with 8GB RAM, 500GB hard drive installed with Ubuntu, Smart Array Raid controller, Dual L5640 6-core processors, 11 drive trays, 1 Power supply, extra cage for installation of PCI-e...
  15. R

Fan Noise on Supermicro Twin 2 Server

Aestr, Can all 12 drive bays be run off of one node? I'm not sure how that backplane works, are there 4 mini-sas connectors? But anyway, I would probably want to attach all 12 drive bays to one of nodes (I would boot from usb or network on the other node). Thanks.
  16. R

I would like to spend about $300, including drive trays and rails, excluding memory, CPU, and drives which I have already. It looks like those systems go for about $400 on ebay. I will keep a look out for a few months, if it doesn't fall below $400 after a while, I may just pull the trigger at...
  17. R

Thanks for that info, I think I will go for the X9, just have to wait for one to pop up at an affordable price on Ebay.