Search results

1. F

Which X299 motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu?

Hello, which X299 motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu? To have maximum number of Nvidia 1080ti GPU, which one do you recommend?
  2. F

Which Threadripper motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu?

Hello, which motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu? To have maximum number of Nvidia 1080ti GPU, which one do you recommend?
  3. F

Do machine learning and deep learning programs take advantage of multi-core multi-thread CPU?

Still trying to decide which CPU to buy. Some mentioned that machine learning and deep learning programs such as Tensorflow and Python are single threaded. Having a good GPU such as 1080Ti is more important than having a high-end CPU. Others mentioned that it is good to get multi-core...
  4. F

Confused about system RAM and GPU RAM

I read that DL uses the memory in the GPU. Thus, a computer with 8-16GB is good enough. However, in Kaggle, I heard people using 64, 128 or even 256GB RAM in the computer. This seems to be contradictory. Can anybody please clarify this? Is it recommended to get 64 or even 128GB RAM? Thanks
  5. F

Any recommendation on motherboard that supports 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16/x16/x16/x16?

Hello, I am considering to use threadripper as the cpu for my machine. I am having a hard time in finding a motherboard that supports the cpu and also allows four Nvidia GPU running at full speed at the same time. Any recommendation on the motherboard (brand and model number please)? Thanks
  6. F

Please recommend a GTX 1080 Ti card for DL

Hello, there are several companies selling cards of different variants using the GTX 1080 Ti, which brand and variant do you recommend? I plan to buy one card first and if needed, add more later. Somewhere I read a recommendation to stay away from the reference edition which I read is also...
  7. F

Core i7 vs. Xeon vs. Core X-Series

Hello, I know that for Deep Learning and Machine Learning, the GPU is more important than CPU. However, if I am going to build a machine, I want it to be able to do other stuffs such as running engineering applications. It looks like at present, the Core i7-7700 is the top of the line for most...
  8. F

Is it worth to wait for the Tensorflow Processing Units (TPU)?

Hello, I am considering to build a machine for deep learning and machine learning. As technology keeps changing, is there a big different in getting the machine now or wait until later of the year? I read an article mentioning about the Tensorflow Processing Units expected to come out later...
  9. F

What is the idea monitor configuration?

Hello, I plan to upgrade my computing equipment. What is the ideal monitor(s) setup for doing ML/DL work? e.g. Dual monitors at 32-34" each, 1-2 38" superwide curved monitor(s), 1-2 43" 4K monitor(s). etc. You can post your setup with screenshots if you like. I don't know yet if I will you...
  10. F

Best OS and software for Machine Learning and Deep Learning

Hello, I am a Mac user but I have also used Windows and Linux. I have a degree in AI many years ago but haven't worked on Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I am considering to replace my old computer and I am interested in learning Machine Learning and Deep Learning. Which is the best OS for...