Search results

1. F

Which X299 motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu?

Hello, which X299 motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu? To have maximum number of Nvidia 1080ti GPU, which one do you recommend?
  2. F

Which Threadripper motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu?

Hello, which motherboards are compatible with Ubuntu? To have maximum number of Nvidia 1080ti GPU, which one do you recommend?
  3. F

Are new GTX cards coming out tomorrow?

So, what happened? When will the new GPU be released?
  4. F

Any recommendation on motherboard that supports 4 x PCIe 3.0 x16/x16/x16/x16?

Somebody did a test and found that there is no noticeable difference between PCIe3.0 16x16x16x16 and 8x8x8x8. Probably they were talking about frame rates. Does the conclusion apply to deep learning as well?
  5. F

Do machine learning and deep learning programs take advantage of multi-core multi-thread CPU?

I am going to get a 1080Ti first and see how it goes. May upgrade to three more 1080Ti or get four better GPU later. In this case, how many cores in the CPU is recommended?
  6. F

Do machine learning and deep learning programs take advantage of multi-core multi-thread CPU?

Thanks. What is the recommended number of cores and threads? Somebody also suggested getting a CPU with cores that are twice the numbe of GPUs would be sufficient!? Can't decide between Intel and AMD.
  7. F

Still trying to decide which CPU to buy. Some mentioned that machine learning and deep learning programs such as Tensorflow and Python are single threaded. Having a good GPU such as 1080Ti is more important than having a high-end CPU. Others mentioned that it is good to get multi-core...
  8. F

Core i7 vs. Xeon vs. Core X-Series

Now that Threadrippers have been around for over a month, is it recommended to get the Threadripper 1900 or the i7, i9 or the Xeon W2125/2135 instead? I probably get one 1080Ti and perhaps upgrade to four Nvidia 1080 Ti running at x16x16x16x16 eventually. I may get 64-128GB RAM initially. Any...
  9. F

Confused about system RAM and GPU RAM

What is the recommended amount of RAM? 32? 64 or 128GB? I guess there is a threshold above which would be better to use cloud services.
  10. F

Confused about system RAM and GPU RAM

I read that DL uses the memory in the GPU. Thus, a computer with 8-16GB is good enough. However, in Kaggle, I heard people using 64, 128 or even 256GB RAM in the computer. This seems to be contradictory. Can anybody please clarify this? Is it recommended to get 64 or even 128GB RAM? Thanks
  11. F

I guess one advantageous of using the Xeon rather than the Intel i9 and Threadrippers released last month is that we can use dual CPU motherboards that support running 4GPU at x16x16x16x16. Am I right?
  12. F

What are the pros and cons of using 1U system at home?
  13. F

Given all the powerful CPUs released in August, is there any point in getting a dual-CPU system?
  14. F

Thanks Patrick. What do 1U, 1P and EPYC mean? If I use a 4K monitor and do DL, will the performance be lowered if I have only one GPU?
  15. F

Both Intel and AMD announced an overwhelming number of CPUs in August. Which CPU choice would be the best for ML/DL? At first, I considered the Threadripper but there is no related motherboard that supports the running of 4 GPU at x16x16x16x16 at the same time. I probably get two 1080Ti but I...
  16. F

Thanks. For such dual CPU motherboard, can I try one CPU with 2-4 GPU first (16x16 or 16x16x8x8 respectively). Then, add one more CPU later? If I don't know how to write code to perform parallelism, is't 2 PCs each with 2x16 slots better and faster to get work done? i.e. One PC with 2x 1080Ti...
  17. F

Thanks. So, if I want to have x16 for all four slots for the GPUs, I will need to use Intel CPU? I read that the i7920x and the i7900K are comparable with the threadripper 1900x.
  18. F

Yes, I know. Why don't they make x16 for all four slots? Is this a technical problem or such board should be out in the near future?
  19. F

Hello, I am considering to use threadripper as the cpu for my machine. I am having a hard time in finding a motherboard that supports the cpu and also allows four Nvidia GPU running at full speed at the same time. Any recommendation on the motherboard (brand and model number please)? Thanks