Search results

1. G

Micron 5200 ECO 3.84TB SATA SSD $99.50

If you are just after storage, it won't hurt, but I've tried adding an SSD to my PS4 and it just doesn't doesn't help anything to any noticeable degree.
  2. G

Overheating? Qotom PFsense (v2.7.0) fanless firewall i5-5250U

The two thermal zones are showing reasonable temps, but the CPU cores are showing around 47-50 C and IIRC that's what they've always reported, The unit in the past month or two has basically overheated and shut down on a few occasions (every few weeks). I think this may have started after the...
  3. G

Qotom "routing appliance"

What do you want it to do? It's a terrible coffee maker. Units like that don't make great switches despite the number of ports, since they lack the ASICs that the real things use and are much better at it than CPUs. Should be more than decent for most firewall applications, possibly a lite...
  4. G

Have a SM X9DRi-LNF+ in 2U server - looking for suggestions as to what to do with it

Has dual socket 2011 - 2.6ghz CPUs wt 384 gb Ram and 12 4 tb HDD. First thought is either a NAS or back up to my current NAS, but that seems to be a waste of massive amounts of ram. Some sort of home media server? VM machine is obvious, though I don't have a lot of experience with it or TBH...
  5. G

PFsense and PS4 issues

The problem currently is less the NAT part, than that the DMZ interface IP is not talking to the fixed IP assigned to the PS4. The suggestions are good and I believe I have followed the procedure for setting up the NAT for the PS4. I'm really trying to figure out what is wrong between the DMZ...
  6. G

PFsense and PS4 issues

I’m trying to get my PS4 to have a better NAT as it’s preventing me from participating in the Gundam Battle Operations online games. Since the PFSense box I’m using has 4 ports and most of the examples I’ve found for doing this, use some sort of non-192.168.1.XXX net. So I set up one of the 4...
  7. G

Anything better bang for buck then Microtik CRS317-1G-16S+RM ?

There is a rather more critical issue with the Microtik CRS317-1G-16S+RM, if 10 gbe is desired. It's only 1 gbe...
  8. G

Tape drive conversion

I have a similar question. I have an old SCSI LTO-3 Dell 124T tape library and I was wondering if it was possible to swap out the old LTO drive for a newer one. Does it need to be a Dell drive or will any drive work? I assume it would need to be a scsi drive.
  9. G

X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $229.90

I have the X10SDV-4C-7TP4F https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-4C-7TP4F?locale=en It's actually a "flexATX". Since the question was about the bifurcation options.The lack of any mention of the bifurcation options in my manual + the two x8 slots lining up with what was in...
  10. G

X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $229.90

The manual for it says x8/x8 for an x16 slot. Mine has two x8 slots and no mention of bifurcation.
  11. G

Seek suggestions for server room set up

PFsense isn't difficult or complicated to get set up. If you've got any spare computers that aren't complete antiques, it's a good way to use an old computer, if you have one. It's a firewall though and not intended to be used as a router. Obviously it can serve as one to an extent, but...
  12. G

Intel Optane P1600X Small Capacity SSD for Boot Launched

It was a "well if they were using the newest chips, they'd probably be supporting the latest standard" analysis, rather than any technical analysis.
  13. G

Intel Optane P1600X Small Capacity SSD for Boot Launched

Unlike the older drives of similar capacity. These are x4 not x2 PCIe. Most of Optane's advantages are inherent to the tech, so AFAIK, there is no reason to assume they won't be at least as suitable as the older drives were and they are not constrained by the x2 link the older similar drives...
  14. G

X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $229.90

According to your link, the issue was with the 12 core and the board linked is the 4 core version. I've never had any issues with the 4 core model I've had for several years. Also the link had fixes for the issue in any case.
  15. G

How to run ethernet cable with STARLINK in new house

A quick google suggests that about 150' (~50 meters) is probably about the limit for a POE cat6 cable. It looks like running anything longer may be problematic given how starlink seems to be doing POE, but I'm sure there will eventually be extenders that are compatible.
  16. G

AES-NI Firewall vs Computer CPU AES-NI Question

So since most people at my company are working from home, one question was what if anything could be done to improve VPN performance. I built about 2 yrs ago a PFSense firewall which does have AES-NI support. From what I can tell the AES-NI should be getting used without there needing to be...
  17. G

eBay - $46 each, QSFP-40GBASE-LR4

Unlike the copper direct attach cables like the Twinax one, the optical cables don't come with the end portions, which are what gets plugged into the SFP+ port on the nic/switch. Basically the kind of item that LizardKing linked. Optical cables have further complications in that there are...
  18. G

If you have the TP-Link T1700G-28TQ switch...

If I'm not having any issues with the V1 switch, is there any reason to install the v3 firmware? Does it offer any advantages?
  19. G

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

TRENDnet TPE-115GI, so not as generic as I had recalled off hand.