Search results

1. S

Suggestions for expandable backup box with vms for rendering

Forgive the newb. Need OS suggestions here.. Looking to build a backup server that can can also use windows via vm's for rendering nodes. Currently have 40 tb backed up online including a lot of duplication both in the main workstation and online..however not ideal. 0 knowledge of linux, total...
  2. S

For those despairing of getting an e5-2696 sr1xk

Well a quick look on taobao, shows there seem to be still a lot out there in the wild...for sensible prices around 4.5-5.5 rmb...or usd 7-800 for the yanquis out there... E5 2696 V3 正式版 2.3睿频3.8G 18/36 秒2699V3 2686V4 2676现货-淘宝网 Note I've always ebayed (got my 3 e5-2696 v3's there) so not an...
  3. S

Horror story flashing m1115 to it

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but thought I'd share my (BAD BAD BAD!!) experience. Went to flash m1115 to it mode for first time, after a lot of stuffing around finally found a full efi shell and was able to boot into said shell from usb (everything but m1115 and OS drive...
  4. S

Need platform for older folks, for backup, simplest possible

What do forum members recommend for older folks (in my case, my folks, in their 80's), that is redundant, reasonably safe, (and fire-safe! given 100% on-time), extremely simple to access/configure, etc etc? Talking about a NAS or something that needs to hold at most 4 TB, but with a lot of...
  5. S

Recommendation for expandable 'Backup' NAS box..say 40TB +

So I've researched freeNAS (not going to work not being expandable), unraid, (yes could work but at most 2 parity drives), and the other unraid equivalents (sorry forgot the name!). Have currently workstation with minimal redundancy (try and copy over working files to a Windows mirror 1...
  6. S

m1115 and SAS expander beeping like crazy

Have m1115 on workstation, out to DAS with IBM sas expander, with about 8 JBOD drives. Lately the JBOD unit has been beeping like crazy! Can't really tell whether it is mobo fault (an old mobo without processor, ram etc, just to power sas expander), or the expander, or the power supply! But...
  7. S

Rendering software supporting windows processor groups >64 and win 10 for workstation

I use mostly adobe, where this just doesn't apply! But I also use Maya, vray, and may have to go over to Arnold... As we all know, since a long time, any more threads than 64, and windows automatically defaults to the next windows processor groups. Well since quite a few years ago, we've gone...
  8. S

Sorry NEWB time

Do you need to reflash mobo bios after cross-flashing say an IBM m1015 to lsi it mode? i I can't see the logic there...aren't they completely unrelated? That would be a total bummer, older server board with c612. Yet sic 'reasearching' the web, seeing a lot of that...any illuminating answers...
  9. S

IBM m1115 in it mode and IBM SAS expander

Read one pretty horrific thread about it, and sitting on the m1115 and the ibm sas expander which work flawlessly together..for jbod. But of course my m1115 is presumably? (doesn't show up as ir or it in bios) in ir mode, which is a bit of a bummer as I need it to expand my DAS for drives...
  10. S

EU WTB : Some hdd cages, 5x3.25" drives, with backplane

For the ghetto server. Have space for 3xcages, and cheapest at my end or ebay is around 100usd + stupid amounts in shipping. Looking for the vertical kind which fit 5x vertically in 3x 5.25 hdd slots, with sataIII or 6gbps connections. PM for offers, used etc all of interest. Something like the...
  11. S

Serveraid m1115 and ibm sas expander won't see REFS formatted drives

Originally posted under great deals regarding the m1015 and sas expander as an add-on to pretty exhaustive thread. So all seems well with my DAS setup, basically Serveraid m1115 with no flashing of firmware/bios update straight out 2x sff-8088 cables to the 16port IBM SAS expander (think there...
  12. S

FS: xtra e5-2696 v3 $800

Need to let it go (reluctantly), bought three in case one was DOA. Tested good in my mobo around a couple of months ago. Paid around 800 usd, need to see break-even or thereabouts. As you know, this is an OEM processor, and one of the best for the anandtech hack of unlocking v3 processors..same...
  13. S

Need help after windows fall creators update! For DAS

So was on windows 10 for workstation like an idiot for all my pc's, as have more than 64 threads (e5-2696v3). Catastrophic failure, need to reinstall all from scratch. Some data loss but bearable. Not able to recover from windows environment, despite lots of backups, disk images, etc. Fine...
  14. S

Looking at Ghetto-building a caselabs for 2x WS boards

Well the old discontinued Caselabs Magnum TX10-D...want to stick potentially 2 ssi-eeb boards in there. Any suggestions? Cheap is the operative word of course...looking to find an ikea, or something 'chassis', and then can get plexiglass plates for pretty cheap. Won't be pretty! But after...