Search results

1. S

Building my own SAS Expander/Enclosure

One thing i learned with my ibm sas expander..the das/jbod needs to be running and hdds spinning before workstation is turned on. Pretty sure there's a dedicated thread on that hp sas expander..a firmware thing? Flashed to it mode? Aside, if placing in garage doesn't it make more sense to build...
  2. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Kijin93, 2x stock e5-2696 v3 with basic h80i aio watercooling, I think get around between 42-4400 in cinebencgh R15..thereabouts. Seen a fair few on hwbot getting around 5200+ with same setup using the microcode hack. For Adobe for sure, would be good to get the all-turbo running! For other apps...
  3. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Wow now that have that bios chip flasher..have to wonder..can it be done using that instead of the incredibly complicated and risky way detailed in the anandtech forum? Wow if so..and of course someone donates working bios!..that would rock! Ideas? Have now 3 bios chips, my ebayers at from the...
  4. S

If you had to pick an antivirus/anti-malware tool, which would you choose?

Curious as well..have used in the past, Kaspersky, Sophos, McAffee (wow probably 15 + years ago!) for my home office, probably several others as well. Anything wrong for us SOHO SMB users to just stick with the built-in windows defender? Realize that thread starter may be talking about...
  5. S

Rendering software supporting windows processor groups >64 and win 10 for workstation

For adobe, GPU is used for certain GPU accelerated plugins and the like, but not rendering. But absolutely, if doing a lot of AE or Premiere, you need pretty much an Nvidia GPU to accelerate certain things (helps with playback too). Unfortunately, once it goes to render, GPU is out of the...
  6. S

Building my own SAS Expander/Enclosure

I have 2 antecs, a 1200 for a future backup build (with Norco ss-500 5 bay enclosures), and a smaller one (forget model) which is used as a DAS. Since it came used with a mobo, I got rid of the ram and cpu (gave them away, stupid!) and just plopped an ibm sas expander in there, connected via...
  7. S

What is the best CPU for AS Rack Motherboard?

What exactly are you looking to do with it? Game, vid editing, 3d work, vms'? As above, give use case...and programs iff possible...
  8. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Wow...wonder iff I can pick up a huanan board on ebay? For a backup server..lga 2011-3 R3? Even better iff they had a dual xeon version..may have to check Taobao..
  9. S

Suggestions for expandable backup box with vms for rendering

Addendum..guess could use linux vm's of maya max vray backburner etc..but never tried linux..haven't gone over to the dark side yet (or do I have that backwards?)....
  10. S

Suggestions for expandable backup box with vms for rendering

Forgive the newb. Need OS suggestions here.. Looking to build a backup server that can can also use windows via vm's for rendering nodes. Currently have 40 tb backed up online including a lot of duplication both in the main workstation and online..however not ideal. 0 knowledge of linux, total...
  11. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Nice one! Waiting for a stack of bios chips before trying it tho..only just recently recovered wiped bios chip with an ebay bios flasher. The anandtech thread is looong and not exactly straightforward. At the moment can settle for stock, stable running system.
  12. S

Tutorial: Updating IBM M1015/LSI 9211-8i Firmware on UEFI Systems

Brilliant! Will give it a go 2nd time lucky...am assuming will work with m1115? Uses same lsi chip..
  13. S

Horror story flashing m1115 to it

update...used ebay bios chip flasher which showed a blank bios chip. Was able to reflash the .40 bios rom and voila!!! All is working. Looks like the last package i used to flash the lsi board had some .ini files or something which erased the mobo bios! Those ebay bios chip flashers are a...
  14. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Well put up my 2x e5-2665 v1 b0 + z9ped8 ws + 64gb corsair ram for like..800 bucks last year. And noone would touch it as threadripper came out. So keeping it for cabin in the mountains pc. Even put out my sr1xk e5-2696 v3 for around 10000 nok or 1200 usd..again due to threadripper no dice...
  15. S

ES Xeon Discussion

Nice homework! May have to hock my spare sr1xk e5-2696 v3 and pick up some 2697 v3! Make a tidy 6-700 $ profit too..managed to snag my 3 for 780 a piece last year. For a backup server xtra rendering node..don't really need 18 cores..but needing to find monies for 30-40 tb of hdds.. Good one! Now...
  16. S

For those despairing of getting an e5-2696 sr1xk

Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated. Ram being what it is and usually having at least one bad stick per purchase bought retail for eye watering cost. Solved my boot problems tho..
  17. S

ES Xeon Discussion

They should work..check anandtech forums. Haven't tried the microcode hack yet but got all the files together. Windows needs to be installed via uefi for it to work. Would prbly have some xtra bios chips on hand just on case..around 14 bucks preflashed on ebay.
  18. S

Just getting the last word in..Knight's landing has terrible x64 scores in windows apps, that's not really what it's meant for. I was actually hoping I could stick one in my pc as a coprocessor (holy cow! all those cores!), but of course they're very slow but efficient cores..so not really...
  19. S

MiniKnight, Cinebench, Vray, Vue, Max, Maya can use more than 64 threads. Ditto various front ends for handbrake. Resolve, Adobe suite can not. So for rendering 3d 2x18 core systems (or more with v4 xeons) makes a lot of sense. For rendering video, not so much..once you go over 64 threads, cpu...
  20. S

Crazy Dave, The ebayer I ordered off of is probably out, and most ebayers are now asking 15-1700 usd each, which is a bit exhorbitant..I would seriously try the Taobao route, much cheaper even with agent fees. I WAS really happy with the asrock rack ep2c612 WS, and it also has the easiest...