Search results

1. T

Tyan KVM HTML5 Remote Console not working on Chrome-based browsers

Hi, I just realized that the HTML5 KVM console for my Tyan server is not working on Chrome-based browsers. I'm just getting blank windows on Vivaldi and Edge (Windows client). Firefox on the Windows client as well as Firefox and Safari on MacOS clients are working. Has anyonen come across...
  2. T

Noob question on L3 switch routing

I am currently using my l3 capable switch only for l2 - tagged and untagged vlans. My network is running with a pfSense firewall which handles inter-VLAN (192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24, ...) routing and internet access. The switch has an IP defined in each VLAN. Now I'd like to change things...
  3. T

Affordable mid size managed PoE+(+) switch

I'm looking for a PoE switch that is affordable, in purchase price and operating cost. I need to connect 7 PoE devices, cams, and APs - and one PoE powered switch. So 6 PoE(+) devices and one PoE++ device - the switch. I also need to connect 7 non-PoE devices, incl. SAT-IP. Uplink is 2xRJ45...
  4. T

New RAID 10 NVMe SSDs

I am looking to build a high performance and large capacity NVMe RAID 10 array out of 6 drives. And I'd like to follow the rule that RAID arrays shouldn't be built out of the same drives in order to decrease the likelihood that all will fail at the same time. I'm currently looking at Micron...
  5. T

Very basic question: SFP+ / SFP28 compatibility

As I'm looking to buy a new server, I'm thinking about gradually moving up from 10GB to something faster. However, for budget reasons I'm not going to rip out everything at once, but want the server to play nicely with the existing switch (Cisco SG350XG-24T). The switch has two SFP+ port, so I...
  6. T

EPYC2 Software Defined Storage: Gigabyte R272-Z32 vs. Lenovo SR655

Hi, just trying to think through the advantages of one of these chassis over the other: The Gigabyte has no backplane, all 24 NVMe drives directly attached. Excellent performance/speed. The specs for the Lenovo say that (currently) 16 NVMe drives can be connected without overprovisioning, with...
  7. T

Epyc ZFS Server - NVMe vs. SATA/SAS

I'm a big fan of AMD's new processors. My Threadripper workstation is great, and I've been toying around with the idea of building an Epyc server that would run storage (appr. 15 TB needed) and my VMs here (mail server, web server, Plex, a bit of minecraft for the nippers... ;)) Liking the...
  8. T

Trunking vs. Stacking

Some switches are stackable, others have (so-called) uplink ports, and some have both. I have googled around quite a bit, and my understanding is that the main benefit of stacking is the ease of administration (multiple switches administered as a single one, with possibilities for failover...
  9. T

JBOD Chassis/Backplane

I'm looking for some thoughts on a JBOD to connect to my 1U server. Connection will probably be to a SAS3 controller with an LSI 3008 chip with 8e or 16e config. Which JBOD chassis/backplane would you recommend for a ZFS setup with 8 HDDs and 6 SSDs each in a mirrored vdev/RAID10 setup? The SSD...
  10. T

Intel X520-DA2, HPE 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT & DAC?

Hi, will that combo work? The 1950 manual mentions DAC for the SFP+ ports only for purposes of stacking. Googling, around, I could not find a lot of information, other than that HP switches may be picky in terms of which DAC cable to use... Any hints? Thanks!