Search results

1. M

LSI 9211-8i HBA Larger than 8 TB Drives

I purchase a Supermicro 4U 36 Bay X9DRI-LN4F 2x Xeon E5-2690V2 10 Core box from Unixsurplus (Mr. Rackables) on ebay. The unit has a LSI 9211-8i HBA in it currently. The listing stated it would work with up to 8 TB drives just fine, and it is doing just that. I've loaded it with a number of...
  2. M

UnRAID Plex and File Server Build

Hello. I’m looking at building a new UnRAID server, to replace my current SAN, an old HP P4300g2, that I have outgrown. The box will mainly handle Plex streams, 3-5 at a time, and ideally be able to handle 4K transcodes as well. Additionally, it will host a file server as well. I have...
  3. M

New Server Purchase - Proc Recommendations

I'm looking at replacing my current Dell 4 node c6100. Currently run about 10-12 different vms across 3 of the nodes, mostly windows server, some windows 10 and a couple linux. I'm looking at an HP DL380e as a possible replacement, with dual e5-2430 v2 cpus and 192gb of ram, with 25 sff 146gb...
  4. M

Commercial NAS vs Supermicro Custom NAS

Question to the community... I'm in the process of planning the next version of my home configuration. I currently use an HP p4300 G2 7.2 TB SAN over iSCSI as my file store. Nothing else is used on the box, as it runs the lefthand OS. I'm beginning to grow short on space, and want to...
  5. M

Windows Products - Replacement for Technet

Last year I changed jobs, and moved into Management Consulting, from my in-industry IT Director role. One of the perks of my role in the old company was that the company paid for a MSDN account for me to use for personal use and testing in my home lab. Not that i have left, and they did a true...
  6. M

Environment StartUp Problems

Good Morning, I've had a nagging and sporadic problem with my environment, that I've finally decided to tackle, however I'm not sure how to proceed. When my system has a power outage or any kind of power disruption where all nodes are rebooted, none of the Windows Server Hypervisors, or...
  7. M

Sophos XG VPN Issues

So far I love Sophos XG, however I'm having a weird issue with VPN. I travel quite a bit for work, and have SSL VPN setup to connect back to my home network when I'm on the road. It is setup and works great, however I've noticed my bandwidth from the source location drops significantly when...
  8. M

Raid 1 HDD Migration to SSD

Currently, in one of my c6100 nodes I have the hypervisor (Windows Server 2012 R2) running on an SSD, and a separate raid 1 array of 2 1TB WD Red drives for VM storage. I'm noticing some performance issues with the VMs and want to replace the raid 1 array with 2 1 TB Samsung EVO 1TB SSDs...
  9. M

VLAN and DHCP

So I was able to get Sophos XG up and running after much trial and tribulation. While building out the new firewall rules, I decided it was time to upgrade my wireless network as well. I ordered a few Ubiquiti APs, and will run their controller in a VM. My question is, I want to run a the...
  10. M

Pfsense & Sophos in VM

I'm relatively new to advanced home networking. I currently run a Netgear WNDR3700 using OpenWrt as my router. I needed VLAN support to allow my SAN traffic and wireless traffic to be segregated from the main network traffic. I have been running this setup, Modem > OpenWRT > Cisco SG200 (2)...
  11. M

Home Network Configuration - DNS

I've had my home network up and running for a couple years now, however I've had a nagging issue, that I'm finally ready to deal with. My setup is: Router: Netgear WNDR3700 flashed with OpenWRT - handles DHCP - external DNS and gateway - VLANs Switches: - Cisco SG200-48 (x2), 1 each used for...
  12. M

Auto DNS Configuration

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with a nagging problem I'm having. For my home network, I am running a domain on Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2. I have DNS being handled by the WS2012E box, but DHCP is being handled by my router, Netgear N600 that has been flashed with OpenWRT to...
  13. M

Home Server and SAN Setup

I've been a member here for quite a while, so I figured I would post what I am using, based on the advice of many forum members, and countless hours of reading this forum/site. While not as impressive as some, I'm quite happy with the way it has turned out. I built a new home in the summer...
  14. M

Network Speed Issues, C6100 and P4300 G2

I finally got my home network setup, and I'm having a bit of an issue with bandwidth. I flashed firmware on my router (wndr3700) to load OpenWRT, which gave me the ability to support VLANs, thus creating two separate subnets, going to two switches, one dedicated to SAN traffic, the other for...
  15. M

C6100 BMC/IPMI Viewer

On my old server, I would use IPMIView to launch and control the IPMI Sessions of my supermicro build. Using IPMI View the C6100 and the American Megatrends BMC, it appears there is no way to launch a console redirection window and take control of the node. Im curious what everyone with a...
  16. M

FS: Cisco SG200-26 Managed Switch

I am looking to sell my Cisco SG200-26 Managed Switch. I originally purchased the switch back in May of 2013, as it supports LACP. I have since outgrown my network, and in need of a larger 48 port switch for my needs. I have all of the original packaging, and can take pictures when I get...
  17. M

C6100 DCS RAM Differences

Are there any differences between the RAM requirements for the DCS C6100s and the regular Poweredge models? I just ordered a C6100 from a vendor, that is the DCS model. It is coming with 96GB of ram, and I'd like to boost it to 128GB.
  18. M

HP Storageworks P4300 G2

I acquired a HP P4300 G2 SAN this week. This model comes with with 8 1TB 7.2K RPM SAS drives. I wanted to potentially replace the 1TB drives with 2TB drives, but the price difference on SAS vs SATA is enormous. I'm not using this array for an SQL or transactional work, it will merely be used...
  19. M

Dell PowerEdge C6100 vs HP Proliant DL1000

With the flood of both of these servers on the market, I was wondering if anyone has done an indepth comparison of the two similar products. I'm looking to replace/add to my existing home built server running a Xeon X3460, supermicro X8-sil-f motherboard, 16GB ram, and 6 WD Black 1TB drives in...