Search results

1. N

Best options for upgrade of an Oracle Solaris NAS

I am a Unix/Linux novice. I've picked up a little over the years as I've learned how to set up my firewall and NAS. I've been using an Oracle Solaris/Napp-it AIO NAS for as long as I can remember. I currently have 3 local copies of data (about 8.5TB each) on two different machines, and 2...
  2. N

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but can you make changes in BIOs other than the PW?
  3. N

Reclaimed 10TB SAS 4Kn Enterprise hard drives - $145

How does one search for the outlet drives? I can't pull them up in a search. EDIT - found the right page.
  4. N

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Has anyone confirmed that the bios password works?
  5. N

Direction for pfSense with ICX6610 and Unifi - how to DHCP and DNS

I've seen references to having one's switch do DHCP relay. Is this what's best for my proposed set up? If so, is there a post showing something similar for a vlan (or vlan - unifi) setup? I've never tried to set up such a relay. I'm new to the ICX66110 as well.
  6. N

I thought that's what I tried. It was quite stable on the main network (vlan ID 1), but hit or miss on the other vlans. It's easy enough to try again. This time I'll ask for help with the trouble shooting. It was my first try with pfSense, and I kept thinking I had a configuration wrong...
  7. N

How did folks handle DNS? That was the bigger issue when I tried the set up. I don't know if I'm correct, I'm a relative neophyte, but I think I got DHCP working (ish), but I could never get DNS to work consistently on all the vlans. I got the impression, DHCP is not stable as well, but I...
  8. N

To be concrete, I have 4 Vlans promarily accessed from Unifi APs My issue is how to best do DHCP and DNS on my network. I have an all in one running ESXi using ClearOS now (I'd like to use pfSense) connected to the ICX6610 which connects to the Unifi APs. ClearOS will serve DHCP and DNS to...
  9. N

36 bay 4U Server Storage Chassis

What is the backplane like? Expander? Passthrough?
  10. N

I few weeks ago I got an ICX6610 and with fodeesha's guide set up my network as follows: ISP - All in One ESXi server - ICX6610 (via two 40GBe connections) - Unifi APs The ESXi server runs a firewall (now ClearOS, but I tried pfsense), Ubuntu, Solaris for file server. My issue is this, when I...
  11. N

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

I just found this thread. I was new to pfSense and Vlans a few weeks ago when I tried to set up a pfSense based multi Vlan network. I kept failing at DHCP and some DNS issues. I thought I was at fault for not configuring pfSense correctly (in a way still true, I didn't know pfSense couldn't...
  12. N

$350: Dell T40 w/ Xeon E-2224G, 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW

How does one find the deal? I clicked on the link above and saw a $650 price
  13. N

Optane NVMe for Slog/ Pooldisks or All-in-one via vdisk on OmniOS

Gea, As you suggested, I've switched to Solaris 11.4 AIO. I'm a bit of a newbie to ESX and Solaris, do you have a how to on what parameters you used for the vdisk SLOG and the L2ARC? Is the exact provisioning important in ESXi? Thanks
  14. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

A word of thanks to fohdeesha. I bought an ICX 6610, and three MCX354A-QCBTs. I followed the guides and was able to get rid of two Quanta switches and 7 Poe injectors. Now, I also have a 40GBe link to my ESXi server. This is the best deal I've seen in a long time! Thanks for the great work!
  15. N

Vlan persistence in Solaris 11.3

I think I understand. I'll play with it and see if I get it going. If not, I may seek an example if you know of a site that's outlined a similar set up. Thanks
  16. N

I'm getting around to moving to 11.4. I have multiple machines at multiple locations, I just need to time to do them all. Regarding the vlans on the machine: I'm sure I'm doing this the worst possible way (I just learned how to use vlans a week ago), but internally I want every user to have...
  17. N

I'm not sure what you're saying. I know how to configure dual mode. To be clear, I have my switch running with dual mode - no sweat. I thought the video was saying dual-mode is the old way of doing it, and there's a new method. I tried the new method and it failed. My question is: Is the...
  18. N

I just set up my ICX 6610 following fohdeesha's awesome guide. It seems to be working perfectly except I'm a little confused about vlans. I'm trying to set up multiple tagged vlans on a "trunk" with vlan ID 1 being untagged. I watched "the death of dual-mode" video: which says dual mode...
  19. N

Gea, Yes, I used dladm and ipadm to make the interfaces, and I can't seem to make them persistent. I tried the /etc/hostname.interface out of desparation. I tried DefaultFixed as well as Automatic - no luck so far.