Search results

1. J

EU 16GB DDR4 Samsung RDIMMS - 2133MHz - 12 pcs -

I received everything nicely packed. I'm currently installing the ram in a new Xeon-D based Supermicro system and everything is looking good. As the seller is new on this forum, I would like to add everything went exelent, he did even memtest the modules for me before shipment. Communication is...
  2. J

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

So today I got my SNK-C0054A4L, which fitted my 10SDV-2C-TLN2F with Pentium 1508 and stock passive heatsink just fine... But I killed my motherboard uninstalling the existing heatsink. A twist just while it got unsticked made the heatsink bump a component which broke. Tried to solder it back on...
  3. J

Supermicro board/memory problems

So, a small update. I re-installed the 8GB modules and got instant failures once more. Re-installed the 16GB modules, no problems. I'm starting to think the compatibility with Micron MTA18ASF1G72PZ-2G1A2 chips is not OK (although they are on the Supermicro list), at least not with the Crucial...
  4. J

Thank you for your feedback. I went ahead and installed the two 16GB modules in the troublesome board and have been stressing FreeNAS (getting the ARC, thus ram filled and used) for more than an hour now and have not had a single problem... This makes me wonder if I should blame the board...
  5. J

I don't know about the LSI HBA, it did not have any Dell markings on it (bought it second hand). It is flashed to the FreeNAS advised P20.0.0.7 firmware. So, it could be Dell-branded. Is there a way to check? What if it is, could this be the root of my problems (note the card was also installed...
  6. J

So, I saw a nice deal on eBay and purchased a X10SDV-2C-TLN2F. I wanted to use it for a FreeNAS build that was running fine under ESXi with my LSI 9201-16e in pass-through on a Supermicro X10SDV-TP8F (Xeon D-1518). Some of the X10SDV-TP8F ram was used as donor for the new X10SDV-2C-TLN2F, being...
  7. J

Mikrotik S+RJ10 10GBase-T transceiver with ConnectX-2

An other small update. Rearranging some stuff on one cable end, I was able to minimize the 10m CAT6A to a 1m CAT7 cable, so, the new path: Server <-> DAC CRS317 RJ10 <-> 1m CAT7 <-> Patchbox <-> 22m CAT6 <-> Patchbox <-> 1m Cat6 <-> RJ10 <-> CRS326 <-> SFP+ module <-> OS2 fiber <-> SFP+ module...
  8. J

Small update, I was able to get 4.5Gb/s results with iperf3 (with multiple parallel streams) by just tuning my x520 performance settings (basically reducing the Interrupt Moderation Rate to Low, Minimal, or Off). Strange thing this was not necessary on the exact same system with the RJ10 module...
  9. J

Regarding the 'patchbox'. It's a wall mount CAT6 unit, but it could be a/the troublemaker as I had to twist the cable hard inside the box to make the connections. I ordered some Cat6a keystones to replace it, hoping that makes things better. As for the heat, the x520 actually had a bad position...
  10. J

So I got my gear. First test I did had the following path: Server <-> DAC CRS317 RJ10 <-> 10m CAT6A <-> Patchbox <-> 22m CAT6 <-> Patchbox <-> 10m shielded CAT6 <-> RJ10 in Intel X520 Around 42m of cable resulted in an iperf3 speed of 5Gb/s When my fiber gear came in, I was able to lay my final...
  11. J

Thank you for your review. I was postponing my order for my little home lab based on your initial (and other) reviews. Your recent feedback convinced me, so I went ahead and ordered one CRS317, one CRS326 and two RJ10 modules. I hope to 10 Gb/s bridge around 25-30m (100ft) of CAT6 including two...