Search results

1. B

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

That was kinda my thought as well. Though in the US I don't believe the price differences are quite as extreme as you illustrate for the UK. If Hardkernel's support is markedly better than what CWWK/etc. offer, then it may be worth it. And judging by the heatsink and fan option, it seems they...
  2. B

Hardkernel just announced the Odroid-H4 series: H4: N97 CPU, 1 Intel I226-V 2.5 Gb NIC, PCIe3 x4 NVMe, eMMC option. US$99 H4+: Adds a 2nd NIC, 4 SATA3, dual BIOS. US$139 H4 Ultra: swaps out the N97 for a N305. US$220 Prices are for the board only. Everything else, even the PSU and case, is...
  3. B

Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on either of the following two models? Going through this thread a bit I don't see either mentioned, but maybe I missed something. Intended use would be OPNsense on bare metal or possibly on top of Proxmox...
  4. B

Need Advise for Home Network Setup

1. Depending on your connection speed that J4105 may be OK, but it is getting kinda old. Were it me I'd just get at least an N100. I don't know about Japan but here at least here they don't appear to cost too much more. 2. Buy a switch. The ethernet ports on the router can be bridged to act as...
  5. B

Which aftermarket battery brand for APC SMX1500RM2U UPS?

FWIW, the Power Sonic batteries I've gotten off of Amazon a couple times have worked out well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BLS14W
  6. B

New M.2 10GB card available

Odd that they don't also highlight 2.5/5 Gb compatibility given that it's an AQC107 NIC.
  7. B

Gauging interest in a case with 13x 5.25" drive bays

Were it 15-20 years ago and I was into mass-pirating optical media, a case like this might be a great option. But I'm having trouble imaging a modern application where it would be worthwhile.
  8. B

Power Connector Theories

Units used for testing are a tiny fraction of a percentage of total sales. Hopefully anyone doing testing would know enough to properly mind the connectors to extend the life and check for any signs of wear/failure. Very few people are doing anything beyond the initial install and maybe a...
  9. B

Power Connector Theories

And ATX12VO really just drops lines for under- and unused voltages. The 12v lines are still carried over the same gauge wire using the same connectors as ATX.
  10. B

Power Connector Theories

Inertia mostly, I believe. It's what the designers know. They already know all the suppliers/manufacturers who deal in such parts. It's familiar to end-users. And so on. Manufacture vs. RC-style connectors is probably somewhat simpler, as the contacts on molex-style connectors can cheaply/easily...
  11. B

Snake oil network switch for some laugh

Wow: "They did not use a linear power supply because they claim that a linear power supply is not fast enough for the data rates that go through an ethernet switch..." Who wants to break it to them that even if jitter on a switch were a legitimate thing, it would be overwhelmed by the sheer...
  12. B

Looking for a UPS

Eh, I've seen the same types of user reviews for APC's desktop units. One of my own APC units just up and died for no obvious reason (no AC power issues, overload, etc.). AFAICT, CyberPower's typical retail pricing for consumer-level devices (i.e., not Costco) is close to APC's. D'oh, sorry...
  13. B

Looking for a UPS

If you end up looking to buy new Costco has a CyberPower 1500 W sine wave desktop model for $180 (no membership required).
  14. B

Advice needed M.2 MLC SSDs, reliable HDDs, ReFS, etc.

This is not correct. They are standard NVMe SSDs, and do not require any special driver to use. Samsung, like many major SSD producers, does offer an app that provides diagnostics and may provide caching/acceleration features, but it's optional.
  15. B

Survey - what kind of pre-built home server would you like ?

And anything else is already handled by the likes of Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. pre-configured and build-to-order. And also the home/SOHO NAS offerings from Synology, QNAP, etc. If OP is only looking to sell pre-built systems and somehow make a profit, I'd say there's little chance of that working...
  16. B

Recommended SuperMicro retailers?

Superbiiz Provantage CDW Central Computers if you're near the Bay Area and looking for a walk-in retailer.
  17. B

Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 i7-1065G7 = to buy or not to buy?

Only caveats off the top of my head: 13" can be somewhat cramped if you're not used to it. This is somewhat alleviated by the 16:10 display ratio. 4k displays will eat battery. USB-C only, no ports for USB-A, ethernet, display, etc. The 2-in-1 keyboard is very similar to Apple's polarizing...
  18. B

How to secure my network

I'd be really surprised if the ISP is giving you a large enough IPv4 subnet to support every device on your network. You're still going to have to run NAT on the router, it's just that its public IPv4 address will be fixed. Nothing really changes. Maybe you'll have a few more if you want to set...
  19. B

PKI in home(lab?)

Just a basic setup via FreeIPA. I did set up a few web certs for various internal services/devices just to keep the browser warning from coming up on the redirect to HTTPS.
  20. B

How to tell whats new?

FYI, this doesn't work if the browser is set to not allow a page to define its own fonts. Seems it's defining a different typeface instead of using a strong tag or similar method. (FF 76.0.1 on Kubuntu 20.04, advanced font settings)