Search results

1. N

KVM advice

The 4k monitor discussion in the deals forum has brought this back around for me. I need a new KVM that can handle 4K. I would prefer a a dual headed model. I need to control at least 4 devices but would consider a larger unit if the price was right. I prefer HDMI over DP. If it matters this is...
  2. N

ESXi 6.5 nfs dedicated vswitch

Cross posting here and hardocp. Hopefully someone can point where I am screwing this up as I have no doubt that is the case. I am trying to set up a dedicated switch for NFS traffic on an AOI server using Napp-it. I have the vswitch and port groups setup. I have a single nic from the napp-it vm...
  3. N

Live image SAS HDD testing

I've run into an issue. I just purchased a few SAS drives and need to test them. The problem is the box they need to go into is currently booting from an LSI raid controller. I have an LSI controller in IT mode I connect to the SAS expander for testing but not boot my raid drive. I tried using...
  4. N

AIO ESXi/Napp-it advice requested

I am finally putting the server I've putting off for a year. Thus far I have or have ordered the following parts: SM 836 chassis w/ SAS2-EL2 backplane LSI 9300 16i HBA SM X10DRH-iLN4 motherboard (on back order till late April) 2x E5-2695 v3 cpu (ES CPUs marked QEY6 replacing the original QFQKs...
  5. N

General Supermicro question

I asked this in the motherboards forum but seem to be getting any traction. I am trying to get this stalled project of mine moving before work, wife, kid, aka life decides I need to be working on other things. :) I am interested in buying a X10DRH-ILN4-O board to for 2 e5-2683ES cpus. I have...
  6. N

Supermicro X10DRH-iLN4

I am looking at this board for pair of 2683 v3 ES processors running ESXi but not finding any reviews of this exact board. Does anyone here have any experience good or bad with it? If no direct experience how about opinions? Thanks
  7. N

E5 2683 v3 ES

I've got a bit of a conundrum. We just did our end of year clean up in my lab and scrapped a lot of gear. In the end I did end up with two bare processors. The issue is they are ES chips specifically QFQK. I have been slowly gathering parts to replace an ancient e5405 based Dell 2900 and had...
  8. N

WTB: Intel 10GbE XF SR 2 Port Full Height Bracket

I've got a the low profile bracket for this card but need a full height one. Thus far I've had no luck finding one that would work. Anyone here have one they don't think too highly of and are willing part with? :) Thanks
  9. N

Supermicro 836 Rails

I have a SM 836 chassis with only the inner rails. I read a lot about wide rails and narrow rails for older vs newer chassis. The terms wide and narrow are great if one is holding two sets of rails. Otherwise, they are pointless. :) The inner rails on my chassis are 1.5" wide. are look exactly...
  10. N

Compellent SC030 CT-SC030

I posted part of this is in the build forum but this may be the more appropriate place to ask my questions. I have a local source for one of these and a few concerns/questions. 1. Does presence of the removable rear window as indicated by two screws beneath the PWS indicate a 836B chassis...
  11. N

Advice requested

First post here and I apologize in advance if these questions seem mundane. I have been looking at building a new server to replace an Ancient Dell 2900 sitting in my home lab. The 2900 is currently serving as an esxi server hosting 2 Windows servers, several firewall management VMs of various...