Search results

1. U

Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

That seems to be a nonsense response. If it's not supported on the E3 CPUs, then what is it supported on?
  2. U

OCZ Vertex 2 - One of the worst products that I have purchased...ever

I spend (wasted) about 20 hours over the past 2-3 days trying to get a Vertex 2 installed on my X38 machine. What a terrible product, stay away from OCZ! 1. When I received the drive (OCZSSD3-2VTX120G, 120gb, 32nm, 3.5") , it had firmware 1.27 on it. The drive had a smart error upon cold...
  3. U

My mistake, you are correct. Even Intel has a X58 mobo listed as supporting ECC. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=46549
  4. U

Best 2 TB drive around $80 for ZFS? (not-4k sector size)

I have 2TB drives of Samsung F4, the Hitachi 5k3000, and the WD Green EARS. I went with the Hitachi for my NAS. WD has the "head parking" problem and needs to be reconfigured. The F4s need new firmware to prevent corruption, and they did not hibernate properly with Synology NASes. I found very...
  5. U

Correct, X58 (at least officially) does not support ECC. AFAIK, X38 was the last desktop chipset to support ECC.
  6. U

Best 2 TB drive around $80 for ZFS? (not-4k sector size)

I have 3 of these in RAID 5 in a Synology NAS. They are Eco drives, which I prefer because of lower power/heat. They are 512 byte sectors.
  7. U

ASUS P8B WS problem with PS2/AT keyboard

I'm having a problem with the P8B WS and an old AT keyboard (attached to the P8B using a AT<->PS2 cable). The Keyboard is a Flextronix Flexpro. It's a rather expensive ergonomic keyboard, which I've had for over a decade and would prefer to keep. The problem is that when the machine boots...
  8. U

LSI RAID Controller - HBA Equivalency Mapping

Thanks for the info. The drives I'm going to connect are all SATA II. (No need for SATA III) I ended up getting a HP 431103-001 (LSI SAS3041E) I'm wondering: 1. Can I connect optical drives to this, or only HDs? 2. Since this card is not PCI-e 2.0, on the ASUS P8B WS, is there a particular...
  9. U

LSI RAID Controller - HBA Equivalency Mapping

I'm looking at a used IBM SAS PCIe CONTROLLER 25R8071. It's listed as based on the LSI SAS3444E. It shows 64-bit drivers for Server 2008, but I'm wondering if it is supported under Win 7 64-bit. Does anyone know?
  10. U

@networkingadmin I did not install windows from scratch. I took the SSDs in RAID0 out of my previous machine (QX6700 + Gigabyte EX38-DQ6) and moved the drives to the P8B WS. The RAID0 array was Win 7 Pro 64-bit and it was recognized on the P8B without issue. The system booted without me...
  11. U

Any recommendations on a PCI-e 2.0 4 port SATA controller

I'm looking for something that is PCI-e 2.0 and has 4 SATA ports. RAID capability is not important. I just need good 64-bit compatibility (preferably with drivers already on the retail Windows 7 DVD). Any personal recommendations?
  12. U

Intel 320 SSD

I just finished putting together my X3-1240 and as a comparison between CPU vs GPU encoding for X.264, the GPU encoding is about 2x as fast. This is with a Radeon 4870 http://www.xilisoft.com/cuda.html
  13. U

I put together my Xeon E3-1240 this week with the ASUS P8B WS. So far, the motherboard works well. If anyone has any questions about the board, let me know. My only complaint thus far are regarding the SATA ports: 1) 6 ports is not enough (I have 4x SSD RAID0 array that I'd like to use, plus...
  14. U

Intel 320 SSD

You can try the demo. I encode HD with and older version of this program and if I remember correctly, it does support x.264 via GPU. http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter.html
  15. U

Intel 320 SSD

You know there may be better options, ie. discrete video cards. I use the Xilisoft Soft HD encoder and it supports ATI and Nvidia video cards. With a lower-end mainstream discrete video card, I'd say it's probably 2-4x faster than my Intel quadcore (1st gen) @ 3.2GHz. With SB products and...
  16. U

I'm not expecting any of the combinations to work, but I'm wondering about: P67 Mobo + Xeon E3 + ECC RAM (does this support ECC?) C206 Mobo + 2600k + ECC RAM (does this support ECC?) Based on all current information, I'm guessing that the scenarios above would run, but without ECC support...
  17. U

Intel Xeon E3-1230

no ECC is a deal breaker for me. When I'm not using my computers, they're on standby. The ram is still being refreshed and kept alive under standby so still susceptible to bit flips. At work and at home, my machines with ECC run for weeks without any reboots in between. My laptops & media...
  18. U

Michael, Looks like we ordered very similar systems. If you want optimal single core performance, disable hyperthreading. If you are doing video conversion though, you probably want hyperthreading enabled. It depends on what is more important to you. Since you need to keep medical...
  19. U

ASUS P8B WS & E3-1240, Intel Quicksync? Patrick, great information on this site. You guys keep it very fresh and up-to-date. That's fantastic. I can barely keep up reading. :) Partly based on the information here, I went with the ASUS P8B WS + E3-1240 + 16GB ECC. I'm thrilled that Intel...
  20. U

Very useful summary. So far, I've not be able to find any C20X motherboards. Has anyone else found any available (via retail)?