Search results

1. zer0sum

Watchguard M390 replacement

Show me how OPNsense can do layer 7 application based filtering, routing, steering, etc. Within Palo you can build policies based off L7 application detection from any of these 4300+ applications - Application Research Center
  2. zer0sum

Watchguard M390 replacement

Keep in mind that if you go opensource you're only buying a Layer 3/4 firewall. I absolutely love OPNsense, but it doesn't compare at all to a proper Layer 7 firewall from one of the major vendors like Palo Alto, Juniper, etc. The Palo Alto 4XX series is incredible for the price when you...
  3. zer0sum

Switching from i7-4790k to what?

Not sure how hard they might be to find for you, but my go to choice these days for lots of PCIe expansion is an AMD Epyc 7302 paired with a Supermicro H11SSL or H12SSL :cool:
  4. zer0sum

$50 USD Silicom PE310G4SPI9LB-XR-LP 4x 10gbe SFP+

Just buy a Supermicro AOC-STGN-i2S for $20-30. They are flawless in the Lenovo Tiny's. If you get a rev 2.0 card they are a bit smaller, and you can even fit a small shucked sata ssd drive in there as well :D...
  5. zer0sum

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

You either run a 3rd quorom only node, or if you're brave, you can just change the expected votes :p
  6. zer0sum

Compact Micro-ATX case

I have the SAMA IM01 and can heartily recommend it :D
  7. zer0sum

If only XCP-NG would give you native management on the nodes, instead of having to run a Xen Orchestra VM just for management :(
  8. zer0sum

What is the best way to implement high capacity redundant and/or distributed storage in a cluster of miny PCs?

I'd say go with glusterfs. Buttt, there is a trick in Proxmox where you just name all your drives with the same name on each host and you can then do replications, and migrations etc. without any shared storage. Host 1 - nvme1, sata1 Host 2 - nvme1, sata1 etc. Then you set up replication...
  9. zer0sum

Proxmox is amazing!! It has incredible features including replication, migration, snap shots, lxc containers, linked clones, etc. You can build a 2 node cluster and the sky is the limit on what you can configure. You will never miss ESXi ever again, and if you really need to you can just run...
  10. zer0sum

Help to setup opnsense for ATT static IP block

Yeah, you definitely want to get that part of it correct :p IP Address: 65.1.1.65 Network Address: 65.1.1.64 Usable Host IP Range: 65.1.1.65 - 65.1.1.70 Broadcast Address: 65.1.1.71 Total Number of Hosts: 8 Number of Usable Hosts: 6 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
  11. zer0sum

Help to setup opnsense for ATT static IP block

What AT&T gateway device do you have? What part of it isn't working? Traffic isn't flowing over the AT&T link? Did you setup a gateway in OPNsense? Or a gateway group? Or you doing gateway monitoring? Do you have firewall rules forcing the traffic out specific gateways? Mine is a BGW320-500...
  12. zer0sum

NEW! Topton 10Gb 2xSFP+ 4x2.5Gb i5-1240P

Sure there is. You can buy a ~$100-300 Lenovo M720q, M920q, M90q that all have a PCIe slot that can handle a dual 10G card. Or something brand new like the Minisforum - Minisforum MS-01
  13. zer0sum

It still depends, is this x8 / x4 slot they mention actually a PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 slot? If so then you're fine, because they have enough bandwidth even at x4. It's really only if it's PCIe 2.0 x4 that it's an issue
  14. zer0sum

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

Why not just choose an OS that you love and then install webmin? https://webmin.com/docs/modules/iscsi-target/
  15. zer0sum

Not necessarily true :p A PCIe 2.0 x4 slot is all you need for a single 10Gbps port to run at full speed. For dual ports, you need x8
  16. zer0sum

Help deciding new homelab build

If you're chasing single threaded speed, then there are different options I'd go with. Look into AM5/AM4 or LGA1700 based motherboards and CPU's that go with them AM5 will be more efficient at load, while LGA1700 is a bit more efficient at idle No where near as many PCIe lanes or slots as...
  17. zer0sum

Help deciding new homelab build

Slightly different approach, but I'd go with an Epyc system with either the H11SSL (PCIe 3.0) or H12SSL (PCIe 4.0) motherboard. You can get a 7302p + 256G memory + H11SSL motherboard for less than $1000. Then you can shove it into an ATX chassis like a Fractal Meshify 2 which can take 15+ HDD's...
  18. zer0sum

Fang-Pen uses USB-4 and Thunderbolt bridge @ 11Gbps between nodes w/o NIC

If you're stuck without PCIe, then I'd switch to a Lenovo m720q ($100), m920q ($150), or an m90q ($250), because they have a half height slot, and are just plain awesome :D And for more than 2-3 machines, it's time to start using switches. Cheapest method would be 2 x of these $40 switches or...
  19. zer0sum

Fang-Pen uses USB-4 and Thunderbolt bridge @ 11Gbps between nodes w/o NIC

If you have free PCIe slots, you are far better off going with $15 Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards and a DAC. Then you have 10/40/56Gbps direct connections and room for future upgrades to a switch setup Mellanox CX354A FCBT ConnectX-3 FDR Infiniband 40GigE High Profile NIC | eBay