Search results

1. G

Updated: 01-23-23 -NVMe SSDs!

Interested in a few of the HGST 1.92Tb SSDs, would you consider shipping to Australia? Can you PM me a price for 4 drives + shipping.
  2. G

FS 8GB/16GB DDR Memory

Might be pushing my luck here but would you ship those to Australia by chance? I would be interested in 22 sticks
  3. G

An attempt to improve Dell poweredge 2900 (rack) with lga 2011v3 mainboard

I don't know the pinout of the distribution board but here is a link to the pinout of the PSU itself: Turn on Dell Poweredge PSU without server – A930P | Incredigeek It should be fairly simple to trace the pins across the backplane once you know what is what on the PSU end of it. (Sorry for...
  4. G

Basic pfSense Interface & Addressing Issues

My guess is that you have mapped the first two ports to the pfSense VM as WAN/LAN segments however the remaining ports are left on the host and therefore cannot access the 192.168.1.0 network. What you are trying to do it use ports 2 and 3 as switchports and for that you need to bridge them...
  5. G

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Depends on what parameters you run iPerf with. It is notoriously bad on Windows with defaults. Try it with at least 4 threads and change the window size to 1M and see what you get.
  6. G

Juniper EX4200 Questions

From your config you have vlan 1 on every port as untagged and vlans 100 and 500 as tagged. Your IP helper is attached to vlan 1 which look like the same vlan as the DHCP server from your addressing thus not doing anything useful. In addition you have no l3 interfaces on the other vlans so how...
  7. G

Juniper EX4200 Questions

Where does your DHCP server sit? I see that you are not using the switch to route traffic so something else must be doing the routing between the voice and default vlans. If the phones are getting an IP then you probably have your DHCP server there. If all that is working fine then you probably...
  8. G

H710 Mini 8087 to sata fanout cable not working

Thanks for the suggestion but the embedded S110 controller has its own port (Sata A-D) and the BIOS settings for that are independent of the two ports (SAS-A and SAS-B) for the hardware raid contrller (be that H310 or H710). There is either a setting that disables the SAS-B port that I haven't...
  9. G

The cable is definitely forward, as in the Chinese one could be anything despite what the description says but the HP one works fine in my other server. All I can think of is that Dell have deliberately changed the pinout as they sell two different mini-sas to sata cables (XP00F & H3YKR) which...
  10. G

I have a R320 server with an H710 mini card in it. There is a SAS 8087 cable connected to the backplane with 4 SAS drives that work just fine. I tried to add two additional drives using the SAS-B connector on the board with a SAS mini to Sata fanout cable and the drives are not detected. The...
  11. G

Juniper EX4200 Questions

Never tried setting a vlan by its numerical id on a Juniper so that might be your issue. Below is what I have configured on one of my switches: set interfaces ge-0/0/40 unit 0 family ethernet-switching port-mode trunk set interfaces ge-0/0/40 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Server...
  12. G

Juniper EX4200 Questions

I have never used their WebUI but the cli is quite simple and intuitive. If you have ever worked with Cisco gear, think a cleaner version of that which actually makes sense when you read the config. As for updates, supports contracts tend to be expensive and not really worth it for home labs...
  13. G

Any reason not to buy higher port switches?

I would seriously hesitate getting an EX4200 for a home lab. We have a few of those in our racks and they have to be some of the loudest switches ever made. After many customer complaints Juniper released a new version of the power supplies that were significantly quieter but still far too loud...
  14. G

Unifi AC HD vs Powerline

Unless you have a lot of interference or a large area to cover the AC HD is far better than powerline adapters. I installed AV-2000 powerline adapters in a small apartment achieving around 150Mbps sustained transfer but with awful jitter (~200ms of jitter). In the same space a single AC HD...
  15. G

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Brilliant thread, finally ordered some of those switches after following this for the last month. For anyone in AU or NZ I found a seller that has them at a reasonable price Brocade ICX (ICX6450-24P) 24-Ports Rack-mountable Switch 5052181779027 | eBay Should arrive in another day or two and...
  16. G

pfSense 2.4.4 Released

Reinstalled mine from the ISO installer. All good after that. Looks like a problem with their upgrade scripts.
  17. G

pfSense 2.4.4 Released

Same for me, more or less vanilla install of pfSense 2.4.3 dead in the water post update. Throws an error on boot about haproxy.inc on line 1965. Might be an idea to hold off updating or just backup the config and deploy it clean.