Search results

1. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

OK, that is the biggest egg on my face ever! I'd built this idea in my head that the SuperMicro X11SSH-LNF4 was 10GbE capable, but after you brought it up, and from what I'm reading, it's really seeming like it's not. That mobo uses the Intel i210 ethernet controller, which according to its...
  2. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Never mind, brainfart. What you were essentially saying, if I'm reading you correctly now, is to provide my NAS with 10GbE connectivity, and progressively build 1Gb dedicated links to the NAS for each Wi-Fi client coming through correspondingly dedicated APs.
  3. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

But how would I aggregate the traffic of multiple 802.11ac APs through a single 10GbE uplink to a switch? The only way I can think of is by placing what would effectively be another switch between the APs and what-would-be my main 10GbE switch, with the intermediary one having n 1Gb links and at...
  4. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

True enough. I guess until 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) comes along, and all my devices support it (far into the future!), a 10GbE-uplinked Wi-Fi AP doesn't really make that much sense. So I guess I can skip jumping on the 10GbE train for the time being, because it's looking like I'll hardly leverage it...
  5. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Yeah, I do, my NAS is a FreeNAS rig with a SuperMicro X11SSH-LNF4-O with 4 10GbE NICs, to which I'm planning to add an SSD NVMe SLOG device, which will surely saturate a 1Gb link. I would definitely consider an SFP-based 10GbE switch, but I think I'd still be bottleneck'd by the connection from...
  6. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

My NAS is disk-based, not SSD, but my next plan is to add an SSD NVMe-based SLOG device to it (it's a FreeNAS rig), which would most definitely saturate a 1Gb link (I'm doing Samba-based TimeMachine backups to it, which implies sync writes that'd definitely benefit from a SLOG). Regarding the...
  7. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

True, that's a good suggestion. But I'm guessing what's going to drive my decision the most is the availability of 10GbE-uplinked WiFi access points, because most of my home devices are wireless (e.g. laptops, phones, etc.). My NAS is 10GbE-enabled, sure, but if my laptop cannot push at anything...
  8. J

10Gbe Switch Suggestions

Reviving this thread in 2019, I'm considering a 10GbE jump so I'm looking for switch options, hopefully in the form of something that combines 4 10GbE RJ45 ports and 4 1GbE RJ45 ports. Reason for the mixture is that, at least for the time being, a) I'm not anticipating needing more than 4 10GbE...
  9. J

Zeus V2 : U-NAS NSC-810A | X10SL7-F | E3-1265 V3

Understood. And thanks for the extra details, which I take it to confirm what I think I found after some Googling, i.e.: the PCIe carrier card you're referring to is basically just an adapter for an extra M.2 card, and whether it connects to the 8X or 16X slot is irrelevant to the adapter role...
  10. J

@PigLover Looking a little harder, is something like this maybe what you're referring to? https://www.amazon.com/RIITOP-PCIe-NVMe-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07GFDVXVJ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544415001&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=pcie+ssd&psc=1 I.e. a PCIe card (small enough for 1U servers) onto which...
  11. J

Oh, I see, the real DOM ports are I-SATA0 & I-SATA1, which provide data and power, but are also part of the "regular" set of 8 SATA ports that the board provides, and that I've already consumed with my data drives. The JSD1 & JSD2 ports are only there to power non-Supermicro DOM devices that...
  12. J

An answer to my own question about extra I/O ports, other than the "regular" SATA ports for my data drives, it seems like the Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F supports two SATA DOM ports at connectors JSD 1 & 2. And if I get the Supermicro SuperDOM devices, I wouldn't even have to feed them with external...
  13. J

Thanks for that tip! But, of course, a question (other than how I'd attach that heatsink, on which I'll do my homework to find out myself): how do you connect two M.2 SSDs inside your U-NAS 810A? What motherboard are you using?
  14. J

@EffrafaxOfWug @PigLover Thanks for your replies, most appreciated! A 2280 M.2 card is definitely looking like a suitable option for me. But back to my possible future plan for a SLOG device: not having any more SATA ports available, that necessarily means I have to go with a PCI-based solution...
  15. J

J23 is the M.2 connector in the Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F board, so I'm wondering if any M.2 2280 card, like the Samsung EVO 970, can just attach there as provided, or if it needs some extra assembly and/or components to hold it in place (and if that then would obstruct something else in the...
  16. J

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm also running FreeNAS on a Samsung FIT thumb drive, but the first one died on me a couple of nights ago, and now I'm running on a replacement one that I want to leave behind for good for something a little more robust. I'm not the most experienced out there on...
  17. J

@EluRex @K D Hey guys. Coming to this thread after a while, what booting solution did you put into your UNAS 810A boxes? My board is the Supermicro X11SSH-LNF4-O, just as @EluRex, and I'd been using a thumb drive connected to the onboard USB 10 port for awhile, but it recently died so I'm...
  18. J

Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TLN2F Review with Intel Xeon D-2123IT

@Evan, Thanks for the suggestion on the Noctua cooler for the A2SDi board, I'll look into it. Other than that, which of the two, A2SDi-H-TF Vs. X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F, would you say has better performance for a purely cold storage NAS (i.e. no video transcoding, file sharing, etc.)? When I spoke...
  19. J

Hi @Patrick, @Evan, Coming back to this again after some silence, thanks for those suggestions, specially regarding the Atom C3000 & SM A2SDI boards. Of all the boards and CPUs I've seen, I keep coming back to the X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F and, now, also to the A2SDi-H-TF, as they both have a similar...
  20. J

Hey Patrick, Quick copy-n-paste of the last question I posted to your article on this board. In what case did you use it? I wanted to use it for a cold storage & backups NAS (i.e. low activity, hardly any more than receiving hourly ZFS replication streams and bi-monthly pool scrubbing), so I...