Search results

1. legen

EU WTB small enterprise SSDs [Completed]

Hello. Thought id ask here if anyone has some smaller-size enterprise SSDs with power loss protection to sell. To be used for a home-lab proxmox server ZFS VM-datastore. Looking for: 2 SSDs Size between 400 and 960 GB 2.5'' SATA For example the Intel DC S4500, S3700 etc. Thanks!
  2. legen

Advice on small home-server upgrade

Hello! I have outgrown my small home-lab server and looking for a good bang for the buck upgrade. The current server is a X10SLH-F-O with 16GB ram and a E3-1271 v3. Been optimizing this thing for years pushing in more and more VMs, LXCs, dockers etc but now i have finally reached its limits...
  3. legen

Notch on sff-8088 cable connector?

I bought a sff-8088 to sff-8644 on ebay. When trying to plug it in the 8088 part of the cable has a metal pin blocking its incertion in the socket (see picture). Any one know what this metal pin is and why it's there? Should I try to remove it so I can use the cable? This should be the cable...
  4. legen

LSI 9206-16e reading temp in linux?

I just got myself a dell-branded (TFJRW) LSI 9206-16e adapter. It has dual 2308 SAS controllers. When i first plugged it in it had firmware: 13.00.60.00 and no bios. When booting my proxmox (debian) it printed warnings that temperature thresholds were exceeded (it was some 70 degrees hot since i...
  5. legen

Storage Spaces Alerts?

Hello all. Im trying out Storage Spaces on Windows 2016. One feature i cannot seem to find is how to get health notifications from storage spaces? For example if a disk fails i would like to get notified via email. Right now i have to go into the server and manually look at the health from time...
  6. legen

Storage spaces advice (or move to ZFS) build for small office

Hello, We are migrating our production environment to Microsoft Azure. We have decided to buy one new file server to the local office for fast and safe file storage for business-documents, code-builds and other files. In space we only need 10TB+. Here i thought storage spaces and ReFs would be...
  7. legen

Enterprise SSD for small home server?

Hello, Im looking for enterprise SSDs for a small all-in-one home server. It runs ZFS for VM datastore for my vms. I read that using enterprise SSDs (raid 1) instead of a HDD pool + zeus ram would probably be more cost effective (since i have no high performance requirements but want to run...
  8. legen

Quanta LB4M MAC entry problem

Hello everyone. We use the LB4M in a active/passive configuration for our SAN (JovianDSS Open-E). Today we discovered a problem which we have debugged for some time. Our two SAN nodes has HA (failover) and for that it uses a virtual IP which is moved between the two head nodes in case of...
  9. legen

How to provide networking for dedicated machines?

Hello! I'm looking for ideas on how to be able to provide dedicated servers from a network point of view. We use the Quanta LB4M switches and pfsense for firewall/routing. The goals would be, Each dedicated machine should be isolated from each other on the network Some traffic limiting to...
  10. legen

Cheap DAS/JBOD for backups?

Hello Im looking for a cheap DAS to hook up to one existing server for backups. Since it will only be used for backups it does not need to be that fast. I need something like this, - capable of using 4TB+ drives - 12+ slots for 3.5'' SATA drives - Rack mountable - Cheap - dual PSU if possible...
  11. legen

HA SAN build recommendations

Hello everyone! I am looking on advice regarding a new SAN build. Currently we have a custom supermicro build running OmniOS with 8xM500 SSDs in RAID-z2 with 32GB ECC RAM. The SAN offer storage through NFS over 1 Gbit ethernet to 10 xenserver machines running ~20 VMs. We now have a dedicated...
  12. legen

ZFS mix SSD and HDD in pool during migration?

We use two Kingston SSDNow 60GB SSDs for our rpool in Omnios. Recently we have had two unexpected reboots of the machine. When it comes back online one of the two kingston drives shows up as, pool: rpool state: DEGRADED status: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist...
  13. legen

OmniOS view source of disk traffic?

I have some xenserver hypervisors accessing our shared omnios san storage over NFS. I would like to see which of these hypervisors that are currently putting load on the SAN. For example "hypervisor-5" might have a VM going nuts putting a lot of load on the SAN. In the san i can only see that...
  14. legen

Xenserver 6.5 released

Xenserver 6.5 has finally been released, XenServer 6.5 | Citrix Blogs Have not tested it, but it looks like it has gone from more open source (free) to less open source (enterprise licensing). Seems unclear what differs from their new enterprise license and the free one. 64-bit dom0 :) Any...
  15. legen

Which SLOG (ZIL) to improve our sync writes?

Hello everyone! We are running ZFS on OmniOS with 8xM500 in a raid-z2 setup. We have 8 (soon 16) xenserver machines accessing the SAN over NFS. We have sync=always thus all our writes to the VM datastores are synchronous. We now need to improve our sync-write speed (we only get about 130 MB/s...
  16. legen

Cost effective way to buy windows server licenses for VM usage?

Our goal is to run as much open source software as possible in our server room build. However, it looks like we might need some windows server 2008 licenses in the future. We think we will need 5+ licenses for the next year or so (VMs will mainly run .NET applications). I have been trying to...
  17. legen

help, hotswap hangs entire system

Hello everyone! Sorry for the amount of text, please bear with me :) I have a problem with the hotswap capabilities of our SAN. We are using, Chassi: Supermicro CSE-216BA-R920L Raid-controller: LSI 9211-8i SSDs:Crucial M500 SSD SanOne 5.11 omnios-8c08411 I have 8 SSDs in a raid-z2...
  18. legen

Advice on network design

I am currently working on designing our network. I will show you my plans and hopefully you have some feedback/advice :) Goals - Redundant. One switch should fail without the network going down - Cheap - Fast - Expandable I plan on starting with 2 Quanta LB4M switches. This sketch takes up to...
  19. legen

Analysing and understanding NFS performance

I realize the previous thread here was bad and confusing. Since i could not edit at first i posted it over at hard forum but now i post it here to :) Hello! Our setup. OmniOS 8x Crucial 960GB SSD (15% OP). Gigabit network (soon 10gbe). 8 disks in raid-z2 shared via NFS. I expected us to...
  20. legen

Living the dream, building our own server room from scratch!

This is a build log for our project where we are building our own server room. We who are doing this are me, Legen, and my friend registered here on STH as Krazos. We are 25 and 20 years old respectively and are based in the mid of Sweden. We have both been running home servers etc. for a long...