Search results

1. S

Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) vs SFP+ / SFP28 (Fiber) gaming latency?

Dac still has less overall latency vs fiber, over short distances. It's also very well documented, IDK where, what , and how FS.com is getting its numbers, like mach3.2 said doesn't sound right even for what they posted. Overall device to device dac has lower latency, my personal network...
  2. S

I think you're getting the table confused with what information I'm trying to relay. Ethernet 10baseT SFPs have to encode to transmit data, that adds latency (as you can see with the table). DAC and Fiber modules don't need to. What you're looking at with the table is the computational overhead...
  3. S

You're forgetting the distance factor. After a certain length the benefits of not converting lessen. That is why generally its best for in rack routing to use DACs. If you're going to the distribution or core switch it would be best to run fiber. 10meters is where the convergence happens on...
  4. S

Advice on Future-proofing Home Switch

IMHO used quanta equipment has some of the best switches for the $, though they are power hungry... got my 24 port SFP+ LB6 for 115 years ago, it's my core/backbone. A few 48 port SFP+ LB8s for my TOR switches for 300ish each. My two access switches are now LB9s, formally had LB4m switches...
  5. S

You're not going to notice it, but for connecting anything within about 10 meters of your devices DAC/copper offers less latency than fiber. The conversion to light and back to electrical signals take time. The rest honestly depends on payload size, buffers, ect... but again we are talking in so...
  6. S

Used / "reburbished" Optical SFP/SFP+ transceivers?

I've just grabbed mine on amazon from 10Gtek. For inner rack routing I use the passive DACs from them, not the "best" but they work well.
  7. S

TNSR Business announced (pfSense replacement?)

IMHO I really haven't been a fan of pfsense since it got sold out to netgate, and their treatment of OPNSense... But they do offer a compelling product. The only thing though is there is always VyOS its nipping on the heals of TNSR, there is plenty of talk about implementing VPP, XDP, and other...
  8. S

Anyone know of a PoE hub (4 port+) that itself is powered by uplink PoE link?

I found the cheapest way around all of this is to use my LB4M and run it through a POE injector for my cams and my AP points. I grabbed one of these used on ebay. But with what your doing you could use something like this with a ummanaged cheap switch.
  9. S

Connecting Quanta LB8 (48x10G SPF+) to 1G Network (or simple sfp+ to sfp?)

I have a LB4M and a LB8, I'm trying to get LACP to work between them. But yeah its been a long time since I messed with them or switches in general, and I just got back home. After being gone for sometime. Id just pickup a LB4 and do what I'm doing, but I SFP+ will auto negotiate so the idea...
  10. S

Quanta LB8 1LB8ZZ0001 help

Did the firmware get posted I picked one up from DNI aswell i can get it dumped this weekend
  11. S

LB6M and LB4M question

Got a LB4M connected to a LB6M. I have a storage server hanging off the LB6M (int 0/1) and my computers on the LB4M can not see the storage server. What to I have to enable to get these to work? I still haven't touched the VLANs so they should be on the same VLAN... I know its not in anyway...
  12. S

So what hardware you have bought lately that was a SCORE!!

Found a listing for seagate 5tb external portable drives for 75 each. If you pop them open they are just the 5tb 2.5" (ST5000LM000) got 30 of them. Going to run 24 in a raid 6+2 with 2 ssds for cashcade. Well, if I ever get my quanta switches figured out. Im kinda expecting a higher than average...
  13. S

Quanta LB4M and LB6M

Sorry for the mess up, on a cellphone. Could a mod please move this to the network thread. Thank you.
  14. S

Quanta LB4M and LB6M

Ok, I apologize for the extreme ignorance of this post. But Im trying to get back into switching after 8 years of absence I picked up these two in hopes of getting back into the swing of things and to get my home network moving again. But I need a militarized guide on how to get the firmware...