Search results

1. C

Migrating from one brand of APs to another

Has anyone had good luck migrating from one brand of AP to another without having to reconfigure every single device? I'm currently using Ubuiti APs but I'm trying out Engenius. I've tried matching the settings between them but even though the SSID and passphrase is the same I can't get...
  2. C

IPv4 vs IPv6 connection quality

Has anyone noticed a big difference between the quality of their IPv4 connection and the IPv6 one? I enabled dpinger for both my IPv4 and IPv6 gateways. The IPv4 is consistently good but the IPv6 is having nothing but problems. Consistent packet loss, high latency, and huge swings in latency...
  3. C

N54L Fan Replacement

I have an N54L that needs a new fan. Unfortunately, the link I find referenced everywhere doesn't work anymore. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page7.html From what I've been able to piece together, any 120mm fan should work as long as it stays above 300 rpm. That appears to rule...
  4. C

XCP-NG change everything to other NIC

I have a MinisForum HM90 that has a 1G NIC and a 2.5G NIC. The 1G NIC is automatically recognized and I can do everything just fine with it. However, I'm trying to set up XCP-NG to use the 2.5G NIC instead. The drivers aren't installed by default, but I've been able to get them added and the...
  5. C

Alternatives to the Supermicro SuperChassis 743TQ-903B-SQ?

I'm building out a new NAS and trying to determine what case to use. My current NAS is in an older version of the 743 and I've been happy with it, but it's not the best solution and prices have gone up quite a bit. I'm looking for something that's quiet and supports 12 or more hot swap bays...
  6. C

Ubuntu Computer not seeing keyboard once it goes to sleep

This is a really weird situation that I can't seem to find happening to anyone else. I'll see if I can explain it. I built a Ryzen 3600 machine back when they first came out and everything worked great except for my USB DAC. For some reason upon resuming from sleep the machine just wouldn't...
  7. C

Mellanox DAC connection issues

I have a DELL 0RT8N1 Dell Mellanox 10GB Single Port Connectx-2 PCI-E NIC that I'm using with FreeNAS. When I use the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M that I got with it everything works, but the cable isn't long enough to reach where I need it to. I ordered an FS SFPP-PC07 Cisco cable but it doesn't seem...
  8. C

Different speeds to and from on 10G network.

This is a new one to me and I'm hoping some of you has an idea as to why it's happening. I'm running an Ubuntu desktop with an Aquantia NIC and connecting to a FreeNAS Xeon D-1540 via a QNAP QSW-1208-8C. This is all 10GBaseT. When transferring TO the NAS I get 5Gb/s, but when transferring...
  9. C

Budget Motherboard for Ryzen 5 3600

Now that Ryzen 5 3600 has been released, I'm looking at upgrading my old i7 3770 to enjoy some of that NVMe goodness. I will be using an NVMe drive, GPU, and Aquantia 10G NIC. The capability for a second NVMe would be nice but not required. I don't care at all about RGB. I keep debating...
  10. C

Quiet 16 port switch with 10G uplink

Any recommendations for a quiet 16 port switch with a 10G uplink? The 10G can be fiber or copper. I might be able to get away with 12 but I would prefer 16 1G ports.
  11. C

Striped SSDs for pfSense?

I'm building a new AES-NI capable machine for pfSense. Now that it supports ZFS I'm looking at running a pair of SSDs striped together. Current contender is 860 EVO 250gb SATA version. I'm not concerned about data loss as I'll have the config backed up and just reinstall. I plan on running...
  12. C

WTB X10 or X11 Motherboard/CPU

With pfSense moving to require AES-NI I'm going to have to upgrade my box sometime in the next year. I'm looking for an X10 or X11 board with a lower end CPU. e3-1220/1230, maybe? Does anyone have anything they're looking to get rid of? Thanks.
  13. C

Used Genuine 10G Base T Intel NICS

Apparently the x540-T2 I picked up from eBay last year is a counterfeit. I didn't realize it until I started looking around and came across this thread linking directly to the card I purchased. Chinese X540-T2 on ebay is a counterfeit? In the interest of picking up genuine replacements, can...