Search results

1. J

Thoughts on sound "proofing" (dampening) a Startech 4POSTRACK12U

That's good to know. Thinking about it, I do have the new hardware for the supermicro stuff coming in I can probably use as panel backings in the mean time. I can probably use some 3M removable double sided tape or something so I can re-purpose the foam in the future for actual panels. I do sit...
  2. J

Thoughts on sound "proofing" (dampening) a Startech 4POSTRACK12U

Hi folks! I've been running my Startech 4POSTRACK12U for a little over a month now. It's housing a Dell Poweredge R730xd (Proxmox host/NAS), a L2 Netgear managed 24 port 1Gb switch, a couple 2U shelves holding up some Cyberpower UPSs and my cable modem, and soon a Supermicro CSE-512F-350B based...
  3. J

Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F: bypass IPMI and allow OS fan control?

I saw those, but initially I only gave the script a quick glimpse as I figured it might be different enough for BSD that I couldn't use it on Linux. Giving a couple of them another read I'd only need minor tweaks to get it working, I guess. That said, it's still not really the goal of this...
  4. J

I just stumbled on this: Amazon.com: SilverStone CMD01B-ESA ESA Commander Series Controller (Black): Electronics From what I can find it's a fan controller that's based on the nVidia ESA standard. I've been looking around trying to figure out if this standard is properly supported by...
  5. J

That's interesting! I'll definitely try tinkering with the config you linked, see if I can trick it all into working. From what I could find on the Aquaero stuff makes it look like it's not too easy to get here in the States. I'll keep looking though, that appears like a close fit to what I'd want.
  6. J

So, I just built a new Ubuntu Server 16.04 around the Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F. So far I like it quite a lot, specifically the IPMI capability. However... I'm not really into IPMI fan control. I really would prefer finer control, specifically some automatic adjustments. Basically, I'm used to...
  7. J

Supermicro X11 - have you found that they ship with the 2.0 BIOS?

I just got my X11SSH-LN4F which I ordered from NewEgg. Received it Tuesday (June 20, 2017), built it Thursday and fired it up Friday. It had 2.0 on it. I did the update to 2.0a just to be safe but it worked with my Kaby Lake E3 out of the box.
  8. J

Opinions wanted: OS choice, and CPU power versus potential RAM?

The whole reason I'm asking this is a nagging fear that RAM might be more important to me in the long run than I'd otherwise expect, but it sounds more and more like that's incorrect and I'd be fine with 64GB for quite some time. Oh, I'm aware of the need to replace all drives with raidz. It's...
  9. J

When the AMD hits 100% it's for an "understandable" reason. Multiple plex transcodes, for instance. It's not bad, just enough that a bit more CPU oomph would be appreciated. I did consider going to E5 but I'm being a bit picky about things. I really want to go with all new hardware and stay away...
  10. J

Hello STH community. I'm currently spec'ing out a new NAS/home server, and I'm now stuck making a decision between more CPU versus higher potential RAM... For some background, My current build is a ZFS on Linux of four 4TB Seagate NAS drives in zraid1 (I know, I regret it but I wanted maximum...