Search results

1. D

A rainy day project - Warning PIC Heavy!!

I gave it several good tries, but no joy. It just would not bond. I ended up buying a 0PPH2J commercially - those seem to be the latest ones that were released and tend to have new enough microcode on them that they'll work. Seriously ball dropping by Dell with that one.
  2. D

thank you for reposting it. Super helpful. I successfully constructed the adapter, but try as I might I can not get anything to stick to the pads on the pcb. Isopropyl’ed it, using good quality NC 63/37 and I took the heat as high as I dare (300°c) without frying the board entirely. Any...
  3. D

DEAD: WTB: Dell iDRAC6 Express p/n 0PPH2J

Disregard - I ended up buying one commercially
  4. D

is there any chance you still have the photos available or could advise how to set up the connections? I have a ton of these which I can not use and would like to try your recovery method. Any help greatly appreciated!
  5. D

Switching to Cisco Enterprise Switches to Replace Juniper EX3300-24T Switches

Compare Models Catalyst 3850 Series Switches
  6. D

Sophos XG

I test drove one and was not impressed. Maybe XG has improved since then. Frankly, though, XG still isn't at feature parity with UTM and from what I'm hearing still suffers from stability issues. We won't even get into the mythical migration tools which they've been promising for a few years...
  7. D

Sophos XG

Ditto. I run UTM 9 as well. I think that XG has potential (for some mythical date in the future that may never arrive), but at present it's nowhere near ready for primetime / a candidate to replace UTM 9.
  8. D

Sophos XG

I am not holding my breath on that one. XG is built on Cyberroam technology. UTM is built on the legacy Astaro platform. They're totally different under the hood, so getting from one to the other isn't IMO going to be easily accomplished.
  9. D

Sophos XG

50 IP active within the UTM itself, i.e. the UTM is handing them out and routing them. As long as you handle your DHCP and routing elsewhere (I run DHCP on Windows 2016 servers and route by way of Cisco 29xx & Cat 3560G's), you can effectively park an unlimited number of IP addresses behind UTM 9.
  10. D

Processor for Sophos UTM

E3. I say this because I currently run UTM 9 - with the majority of its services operational - for a medium sized user base servicing a 1000/1000 fiber connection - on a spare Dell R210II with 16GB and an E3-1280V2 I happened to have on the shelf. The processor is barely idling.
  11. D

WTB: SAS3 8 port HBA or X10SRH motherboard

Are you looking for RAID capability or just JBOD? I have a spare LSI 9200-8e I'd be willing to let go of. PM me if interested.
  12. D

Sophos XG VLANS + Unifi

Not to resurrect the dead, but: Unifi is quirky with respect to operating with multiple VLANs on an AP. The native VLAN on your AP (i.e. the IP address of the AP itself) has to match the native VLAN on your switch / same VLAN that your controller is on, or else the controller will never adopt...
  13. D

FS: Cleaning out the closet - Various Cisco

ASA-SSM-40 module has been sold. Bump
  14. D

FS: Cleaning out the closet - Various Cisco

I'm cleaning out the excess equipment closet. All items are free shipping within CONUS. Cisco ISA550 Integrated Security Appliance w/ rack ears: ($79 on eBay and $960 on Amazon) - asking $75 Cisco Small Business SG300-10P Managed PoE Switch w/ rack ears -($105 on eBay and $100 on Amazon) -...
  15. D

Need pfSense Hardware Advice for Gigabit Internet

I haven't played around with the T30's since I only use rack mounts (have a rack, so why clutter up the floor) so I can't say if they're upgradeable with respect to processor. Spec says the only Xeon it was ever offered with is the E3-1225v5, which is actually quite slower than the E3-1280v2 and...
  16. D

It's slightly slower, but it would work IMO. If I've determined that I want to run a 1280 in one of these boxes, I'll normally just buy the processor separately and swap it out. On that path, I'll just find the cheapest non-stripped R210 II available, do the surgery once everything arrives and...
  17. D

I run Sophos UTM 9 (with just about every option turned on) on an E3-1280 v2 @ 3.60 & 32GB servicing a load balanced dual link (two different ISP) 800/800 WAN. That's a good bit more of a load than just pfSense would be. CPU utilization with a saturated pipe is about 8% max. I think maybe...
  18. D

So what hardware you have bought lately that was a SCORE!!

LSI 9286CV-8e for $95.00
  19. D

Is is a good MB for a PFSense box?

Yea, you're good to go. Another piece of advice: you'll be prompted to install the license file during initial setup, but it doesn't always work perfectly. Once you've completed the initial setup, check the licensing tab under Management. You'll probably find that the expiration dates are wrong...
  20. D

Is is a good MB for a PFSense box?

I'll look around to see if I downloaded any documentation. Basically with a home use license on UTM 9 you're limited to: 50 users 32,000 concurrent connections You get standard support vs premium no Basic Guard and no Sandstorm XG is limited to 4 cores and 6GB of RAM. You can give it a box...