Search results

1. R

Comparison of two RAID cards

The plan is two RAID 10 arrays made with 600GB 15K drives. The reason I’m asking the question is this server will be remote as I’m taking a job in another state and just want to get all my projects done before I leave.
  2. R

Comparison of two RAID cards

Hello everyone, I like to get some inputs... Let's assume I have 2 identical servers, identical in every way, except for the RAID card. The drives are the same and in the same configuration. One card has 1GB of cache and the other 4GB. The files being written to the drives are "smallish"...
  3. R

FS: New HPE MR416i-p RAID Card

I have a new HPE MR416i-p RAID card, this is a Broadcom 9560-16i with HPE firmware. I attempted to use this on my Intel S2600STBR board, it is a no go as the Intel BIOS does not have a driver for it. It does come with a SAS cable too. Again, this was new and purchased from an IT company in...
  4. R

HPE P430 and HPE P440 firmware

Hello everyone, So, before I brick my HPE P430 card, can it be flashed with the P440 firmware and if it can, is there any advantage to doing so? Thanks Ray
  5. R

Looking for firmware for the Toshiba MG06SCA600a SAS drive

Hello everyone, Can anyone guide me to firmware for the Toshiba MG06SCA600a SAS drive. Thank you Ray
  6. R

RAID 1 NVMe vs RAID 1 15K SAS

Thank you for the advice, how do you configure the data-set? Is this a CLI command? Thanks Ray
  7. R

The motherboard has oculink connections on it and I do have the configuration plug. I will try direct attachment to the board. The RAID card does seem to be the bottleneck as I tried RAID 1 with SAS SSD drives and they were the clear winner. Mind you these test were all done by “gut feel”, but...
  8. R

Hello everyone, I’d like to hear some experiences with NVMe drives in RAID 1 vs 15K SAS drives in RAID 1. I am not seeing much of a performance difference between the drives. As an fyi, the RAIDs were created on a Dell H755. I had assumed the NVMe drives would be way faster and they’re not...
  9. R

Low profile SlimSAS to oculink cable

I wanted to post an update, I found two low profile SlimSAS to oculink cables. The .5m one is LP-2033-OCU and the 1m one is LP-1978-OCU. These are sold by Micro SATA Cables. I purchased the .5m one on Amazon, and can happily say it worked fine. The server is an Intel S2600STBR mounted in an...
  10. R

Dell RAID Card H755

I wanted to post an update, I found two low profile SlimSAS to oculink cables. The .5m one is LP-2033-OCU and the 1m one is LP-1978-OCU. These are sold by Micro SATA Cables. I purchased the .5m one on Amazon, and can happily say it worked fine. The server is an Intel S2600STBR mounted in an...
  11. R

Has anyone tried Dell H755 or Broadcom 95xx in Dell 7920/7820/5820 ?

I have not yet, I’ll probably try on the weekend.
  12. R

Dell H755P adapter in a Non-Dell server

I’m using sas drives. I do have an Intel hotswap bay that uses SFF-8643s to feed the NVMe drives. This bay uses x2 NVMe drives, the drives I have our x4s, will they work?
  13. R

Has anyone tried Dell H755 or Broadcom 95xx in Dell 7920/7820/5820 ?

I'm thinking it could be the cabling... I want to try the H755P in my Intel server with NVMe SSDs but the cabling I'm using will probably not support it. My understanding is the white SFF-8643s support NVMe drives, black do not. Again, I've been told (thank you Broadcom) that is an industry...
  14. R

Dell H755P adapter in a Non-Dell server

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience of a Dell H755P adapter in a Non-Dell server. Obviously the phrase of your mileage may vary holds here. I am using the H755P in an Intel S2600STBR board in an Intel P4000xmuxx chassis. The OS is server 2019. I am using an Intel RAID...
  15. R

HP RAID Controller Guru question...

Hello everyone, Will the 4GB Cache card from an HP P420, P421, P430, P431, 822, and 830 install and work in the P440 and P840? Thanks Ray
  16. R

HP/PMC SA in whitebox

I’m using the P840 on an Intel S2600STBR server board, no issues. I have also used the Dell H740P and H750P with no issues.
  17. R

HPE P840 controller battery/capacitor

Hello everyone, I have an HPE P840 in an Intel server and it’s working well. What more could I have asked for, 4GB cache and a Microsemi chip, but there is a however, the card is connected by a 3 pin cable to the motherboard on a HP server to supply power to the cache on power failure. Is...
  18. R

Opinions please

I’ve thought of RAID 10, I only have 3 of the drives, they are SAS SSDs.
  19. R

Opinions please

Hello everyone, I'd like to get some opinions before I move on building this server. I have a choice of doing a RAID 1 with a Dell H740P which has 8 GB of cache or RAID 1E with an Adaptec 81605ZQ which has 1 GB of cache. RAID 1E touts a 2x read and write speed gain, while RAID 1 touts a 2x...
  20. R

Those HGST 3.84Tb SN260 drives and Cisco firmware...

Hello everyone, Does anyone have a procedure for flashing these either in Windows or the EFI command line? Thanks Ray