Search results

1. E

EXPIRED Intel Optane P4800x 375GB $800

Optane makes awesome dedicated L2 cache with PrimoCache: PrimoCache Overview For $120 there isn't a better (or at least cheaper) way to accelerate your Windows server, especially if you can't afford to go all SSD. Heck I got the $20 for my workstation and use the 64GB M2 Optane as L2 cache...
  2. E

WD - easystore® 8TB - NESN $149.99 (Updated)

Two more 8TB drives - woot!
  3. E

Intel Optane 800P 58GB and 118GB M.2 SSD Modules Released

My 64GB Optane made a significant difference in the overall feel of my gaming PC, despite it having a Samsung Evo M2 SSD. But not with Intel's software - I never could get it to work. I found PrimoCache and designated the Optane as L2 cache and was off to the races. At $30 for a desktop it...
  4. E

WD - easystore 8TB - WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN

They are back - grabbed two more!
  5. E

New ZBook Studio G4 (Loaded)

But unlike traditional docks thunderbolt docks will work with any computer that has a thunderbolt port - so it should be the last dock you ever need (or need for a very long time).
  6. E

I used to not be a fan of trackpads, but once you get used to gestures and taps they are far superior to mice - at least the Apple trackpads. That's part of the reason bigger is better - it's more than just moving one finger and have the pointer track it. And Apple's palm rejection is flawless...
  7. E

Not specific to HP, but really make sure you nuke the HP install and install your own clean copy of Windows: [H]ardOCP: HP Accused of Quietly Installing Spyware on Windows PCs
  8. E

AD, DHCP, DNS Reconfiguration on my network

Excellent catch - thanks. It still stinks the SG-1000 can't do QoS :(
  9. E

SSD or Optane caching without storage spaces

For the hypervisor? Maybe. I've been exploring Proxmox as a potential solution.
  10. E

AD, DHCP, DNS Reconfiguration on my network

While I'm a huge fan of pfSense and in general I want to support Netgate, I'm really peeved about the SG-1000. First, it doesn't support QoS. I was looking to upgrade my parents firewall with the SG-1000 and since they are on a crappy DSL with a horrible uplink I was looking forward to...
  11. E

Drive Letters on Windows Server 2016

For Plex I would also highly recommend Stablebit Drivepool. I started using it with Windows Home Server to also use with Plex and it's a heck of a lot easier and more reliable than storage spaces for what you want to do.
  12. E

SSD or Optane caching without storage spaces

So does anyone have an effective SSD or Optane caching solution that doesn't involve storage spaces? I'd be fine with a software solution, but the few that are out there either seem to be barely above hobby/shareware level or priced insanely. Hardware solutions are targeted at systems way...