Search results

1. W

Bloomberg Reports China Infiltrated the Supermicro Supply Chain We Investigate

(from the Bloomberg article) "... alerted the client's security team in August, which then removed them for analysis. Once the implant was identified and the server removed, Sepio's team was not able to perform further analysis on the chip." The way I read it is that Sepio's client removed the...
  2. W

Chinese backdoors on Supermicro

Great question, and one I'd like to know as well. Not attempting to go full paranoid, but now that this is out in the open, who knows where they'll find this kind of stuff lurking. Absent the mfg inspecting/testing/validating the every circuited part they use against a known-good master, I'm...
  3. W

I'm not sure you can. The Bloomberg article states that the newer version of this hardware hacking is using chips that are embedded in the Fiberglass of the Motherboard. I assume that means you can't even visually see them without X-Raying them. Ugly, ugly.
  4. W

Thank you for posting this... Beat me by a few minutes. =D Enormous implications. We had planned on buying some SuperMicro servers for a new Cluster, but I'll tell you, that's come to a dead stop after reading this article. Not sure where we will turn.
  5. W

Expanders, dual ports and bandwidth OH MY

Just a followup in case anyone else looked at this post (not that it was that great). Wasn't able to utilize this solution. Seems these SuperMicro JBOD's units are not SES (SCSI Enclosure Services) capable. Note, these are the JBOD chassis (826_JBOD), not the normal chassis (which in case...
  6. W

KD, Thank you for the once over. You confirm what I had suspected. And yes, you were correct that this was a 2-3 node, not a 20-30. Should have clarified that a bit. Dave
  7. W

Build Name: Dave's TestBed. OS: Server 2016 Enterprise CPU (per node): Dual 8 core (16 thread) Xeon v1 Motherboard: Reclaimed IBM M4 servers. Chassis: Drives: See below RAM: 128G Add in Cards (per node): LSI 9361-8i, M5110 (host OS), Mellanox VPI 40Gb cards. Other Bits: DAS SAS3 Expanders. My...